KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

After a quick bit of advice, just installed a new genuine timing chain tensioner to my SXF 250 and noticed that when turning the engine over by hand the tensioner actually moves in and out, is this suppose to happen?

Ive attached a link to a YouTube video showing what’s happening, please excuse the shakey video

Cheers

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
Depends if it's only hydraulic or if it has an internal ratchet. If just hydraulic then it will move until the engine is running and therefore pumping oil.... However... Make sure you double check as I'm just speculating based on my 09 400. With that generation of engine, we replaced the OEM tensioner with a hydraulic with ratchet so that it would never collapse.

The ratchet ones also have a specific assembly instruction to ensure it goes in the right way up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After some more research it would seem that this in fact how it should be operating and once running the oil pressure will increase the tension and the tensioner will not move, however I don’t trust it so swapped it out for a manual tensioner until I can get hold of a Dirt Tricks tensioner as there is no UK stock at the minute

1 - 3 of 3 Posts