KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I'm in the market for a Supermoto and think I've settled on a KTM 6xx
but I don't seem to be able to find any good info on the differences between the 625,640,660 etc

I think I read on here that the black engine LC4 ones are to be avoided, is that right?

before I start boring you guys with newbie questions, is there already a guide or FAQ on this subject anywhere?

By the way, I already have a Yam WR450F but it's not great on the road for the miles I do, so I'm now looking at KTMs or (boring option) a DRZ400.

Cheers for any advice.

--
Jake
WR450F, Fireblade, e46 M3.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Hi mate, there is loads of info here on RE this. I was in the same boat. I believe the grey model engines are better, however my friend has had is 03 plate, plus 20K, well serviced, with no issues!!

Use the search button...... I personally went for a 2005 newer shaped 640 SMC, mainly because I wanted the grey engine, plus lecky start.

·
Registered
9,323 Posts
probably done a good thing by starting this thread. sure you will get loads of opinions. there are a lot of people on this forum that have owned or worked on lc4's.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi mate, there is loads of info here on RE this. I was in the same boat. I believe the grey model engines are better, however my friend has had is 03 plate, plus 20K, well serviced, with no issues!!

Use the search button...... I personally went for a 2005 newer shaped 640 SMC, mainly because I wanted the grey engine, plus lecky start.
Thanks mate. Perhaps I'm searching for the wrong things but I can't find much.

probably done a good thing by starting this thread. sure you will get loads of opinions.
It seems not! :D

·
Registered
330 Posts
640 tamest lecy starter steel rear subframe with pillion pegs full ignition steering lock etc best ecconomy
625 middle, still have leccy starter ignition steering lock etc but better carb, slightly better performance slightly less economy
660 pretty much track bike on the road, no starter no battery no ignition no pillion foot pegs, alley rear subframe, most powerfull and lightest out of the 3,
This is just what i`ve picked up from when i was in your possition, there will be other differences but hope this helps

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks scottpaul, very interesting. Seems a bit odd that the 625 is the better one than the 640 but I'm sure you're right.

So, from what you're saying this one
2004 04 Reg KTM 625 LC4-E SC Supermoto 625cc (4000 miles) for £2,995

would probably be a better buy than say this one
2005 05 Reg KTM LC4 640cc (3500 miles) for £3150

Both look pretty good to me though. Any thoughts?

I've also been offered a nice looking 56 plate black DR-Z 400 SM with 6k miles for £2250.

Decisions decisions.

·
Registered
517 Posts
The 640 and 625 use the same 625cc engine, plus the 625 has the go faster bits already and hence why it is the best of the bunch.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
It also depends on what you want to do with the bike. The larger tank on the 640 is very practical for daily use, and you may never notice the extremely mild difference in the mid range power delivery of the FCR carb on the 625.

Most people suggest the 625 over the 640 because they assume that you will become bored of the 640 and feel the need to spend small fortunes on things like carbs and brand name tail pipes just to get that gnats wing of extra power. Which may be true in your case. Either way you can fit 640 tank and seat to a 625, and you can fit FCR carbs and thin head gaskets to 640's too. So find the newest tidiest one of whichever.

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
The 640 and 625 use the same 625cc engine, plus the 625 has the go faster bits already and hence why it is the best of the bunch.
well put

·
Registered
330 Posts
Mostly depends on you, as said there`s not a massive difference in the bikes but if your a power whore your gona end up spending more on a 640 just to take you to where you would be if you started with a 625, some say there`s not much difference but i rode a couple of 640 prestige both jetted air box mods and Akro`s then rode a 660, bought the 660 str8 away was a world apart from the 640, (rode a honda fmx650 at some point as well but that was a joke)
nothin wrong with any of the 3 bikes the question is what do you want from it???

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys, that been a big help.
I definitely don't want a 660 if they have no electric start, battery etc.
It also depends on what you want to do with the bike. The larger tank on the 640 is very practical for daily use, and you may never notice the extremely mild difference in the mid range power delivery of the FCR carb on the 625.

Most people suggest the 625 over the 640 because they assume that you will become bored of the 640 and feel the need to spend small fortunes on things like carbs and brand name tail pipes just to get that gnats wing of extra power. Which may be true in your case. Either way you can fit 640 tank and seat to a 625, and you can fit FCR carbs and thin head gaskets to 640's too. So find the newest tidiest one of whichever.
Some good points there mate, cheers.

If I go for a 640 I won't get into modding it for more power. Spending a lot of money for minimal gains seems silly.
I'm tempted to go for a 625 but the small tank size would probably annoy me. So it seems I'll be going for a 640.
I've found a couple for sale online that are the right spec/age/price for me but the best ones are the other end of the country and I don't have the time for a 500 mile round trip in a van at the moment.

I really like this one : Link: KTM : KTM 640 LC4 Prestige Supermoto
this looks good too. Link: KTM SMC lc4 625

but I've traveled hundreds of miles to see cars/bikes before that turned out to be less than as good as they sounded in the Ads.

·
Registered
330 Posts
second link doesnt seem to work, bare in mind! a full akro system will set you back arouns £1000 so well worth a few extra quid for a bike with a set on also the later twin pipe model givers slightly better power delivery low down (don`t know this from experience just whats bin said on here)

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
my 640 is jeted and has twin akrs, not sure on how nuch differance these mods make, but certainly cost a fortune to do, as already said in posts. One thing is sure the 640 is a lot better than the DRZ, quiker, though what has not been mentioned the 640 vibrates like a ............!!!!! personaly i like it, others might not as it is vibey. it has decent service interals. the only thing i dislike is no fuel gage, but has reserve.

you will get bored with drz if commuting, Oh yes the 640 seat is hard but can be overcome

1 - 13 of 13 Posts