KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so in the night my Duke fell over onto its near side. The impact bent the near side riser that comes from the headstock, and to which the handlebars are bracketed, by about 10degs. I can't afford to get a new set of risers so I'm going to heat up the bent one and bend it back. Is that a really bad idea or will I be able to ride it without fearing the riser will snap at any point?

I've just done a bend test on a smaller bolt and it bent back ok. I'm just a little worried.

Thanks in advance guys.

Adam.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Headster,

Not sure, it's at the garage so I've not taken it apart myself. Just spoke to a technician mate of mine and he said that if it's steel, as opposed to Al, then it should be ok. The problem is that I don't know if, on a 98 Duke, it is steel or not. The guys at Bracken weren't sure. Any ideas if it is?

Thanks,

Adam

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
they wont be bent mate...they have rubbers underneath.

undo them...then retighten in the right place. if the rubbers are perished..replace.they are only about £2 for them.

the rubbers were gone on mine and they felt twisted..so i replaced them, and it was straight as u like.

·
Premium Member
8,367 Posts
they wont be bent mate...they have rubbers underneath.

undo them...then retighten in the right place. if the rubbers are perished..replace.they are only about £2 for them.

the rubbers were gone on mine and they felt twisted..so i replaced them, and it was straight as u like.
Thats what i thought, but dont have a Duke to confirm against :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, the bars are exactly like that. Just got it back from the garage. Apparently they are steel. The bloke took the bar and clamps off, removed the bolt (which only had about 5degs of bend) heated it up and gently tapped it straight. I checked it out before it was reassembled and it looked fine. Also, the thread was made by rolling rather than cutting, so it should def be fine.

Thanks for your help gents.

Adam.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts