KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
4. Don't use the clutch when changing down
On modern motocross bikes you do not need to use the clutch when shifting down gears. Don't make the mistake of pulling in the clutch and coasting into corners. If you leave the clutch alone when down shifting on a 4 stroke you will have additional stopping power from the engines compression effectively braking the dirt bike. This technique depends on the corner and will not work for brake slides as the bike will stall.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
The clutch is for splitting the engine from the gearbox. So when you don't use the clutch you force the gear mechanism to change to another gear while the gears are rotating.
The 4T engines has the ability to slow down the bike, so bike will slow down the same if you change down a gear or two even with the usage of clutch.
The only that it matters is to release the clutch and use the engine brake effect to slow down your bike.

·
Premium Member
31,428 Posts
Best doing that with a slipper, otherwise the rear wheel bounces......... KTM dont call them an anti hopping clutch for nothing! ;)

·
Registered
204 Posts
I was going to say i couldnt imagine my 625 not sliding round the corner. I have just got used to making sure im at the right speed for the turn. but alas...i have not been on the trrack so im sure it must be different

1 - 4 of 4 Posts