KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pretty much sorted the deal out on the KTM 690SMC 2010 model, so i decided to shop around for some insurance. First off i have a trade policy but this is my own bike so want it insuring as such (0 NCD, due ot trade policy for many years) coming from a BMW S1000RR, Hayabusa, ZX7R, RSV Mille and i once owned and ran a motorcycle training school so i am quailified to teach people right up to test standard on 33bhp bikes (500cc twins we used)

So i have 20 years biking experiance, DSA instructor licence and i live in a rural area, i also passed rospa advanced 5 years ago but cant find the certificate.

I have 0 points and have never claimed on a policy in my life

Anyway:
2010 KTM 690 SMC, datatag and an Abus granit chain - SDP + commuting 5000 miles per year.....What do you reckon!

Got quotes from £750 down to £225 Fully comp with £0 voluntary excess (adding a £500 voluntary excess reduces it by £16) legal cover and breakdown cover. So i thought i would ask Phil on the forum from Bikesure, well he passed my details over to Bikesure and £375 came back, they cant do it cheaper.

So i have 20 years experience and go from a 190bhp Missile to a 63bhp Supermoto and they still want to stitch you on the insurance.....its all b*llocks.

Anyway EBIKE will get my business and i will tell everyone i know who they should try first!

By the way some people say its not the price its what you get in the policy and how they treat you on a claim....well the first time you insure a vehicle its all about the price because until you claim you dont know how they are going to treat you.

I know some younger people will think its cheap at £225 but basically if i give one bit of advice its build up your NCD because in my opinion that is all they base your circumstances on. They ignore the stuff that should reduce the premium and simply look for things to use to load it in there favour

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Working in someones house today and the bloke was trying to sort his sons insurance out for a 2003 Rover 25...1.4 petrol , the lad is 20 yrs old , Highest was £6000 lowest was £1750 ....How can there be that much dif ?

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
Working in someones house today and the bloke was trying to sort his sons insurance out for a 2003 Rover 25...1.4 petrol , the lad is 20 yrs old , Highest was £6000 lowest was £1750 ....How can there be that much dif ?
Quite simply the whole bike/car/life insurance business is a complete racket ................... like most financial services, some wide-boys in the City dream up a legalised scam to fleece Joe Public and line their own pockets. They love blinding folk with their cod science - usually based on a cocktail of secondary school level statistics and greyhound ground betting techniques.

A plague of biblical proportions on the lot of them ..............................

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
£225 to insure your £4500 ??? machine from theft ?
Not all bad IMO

and the reason no claims bonus counts for so much is that virtually anyone can ride like an angel to pass advanced tests but NCB proves you've managed a year without crashing !

·
Registered
24 Posts
NCB proves you've managed a year without crashing !
All NCB proves is that you've gone a year without CLAIMING. You could have crashed 10 times and caused other accidents but not had to claim... But my biggest problem with NCB is if someone nicks my bike - it's my fault! Even if I do everything (and more) humanly possible to secure my bike my premium goes up... NCB is crap.

/bfg

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
.......virtually anyone can ride like an angel to pass advanced tests......
Hmmm, this above statement proves that you havent got a clue what you need to do in Rospa Advanced training. This isnt some knob jockey from the IAM who can barely walk in a straight line never mind ride a bike.

I was trained by an ex police pursuit motorcycle examiner on fast roads around wales having to give full commentry on what i can see, observations about road awareness and conditions and up coming hazards including things that were sometimes 1/4 mile away round corners that you couldnt see round and so had to look across hedges and use the hills in roads to check out hazards in dips further down the road.

Just try this, ride down your favourite road as fast AND smoothly as you can (so not much braking is allowed) and time your self over say 2 miles.

Now do the same again but this time talk out loud as if you are using an intercom and describe everything you are seeing and doing, you will find the time has just nearly doubled and your speed has dropped to a very slow pace.

Check out what you need to get Rospa gold on the Rospa website and then tell me that all you have to do is ride like and angel. Most rospa instructors dont stick to speed limits when you are in the 60 or 70 zone, but they all ride fast, smooth and safe.

I dont waste money on alarms and immobilisers (add the best alarm/immob to the insurance policy quote site, it does nothing for the qutoe and costs 300-400quid to have fitted) as these just let you down and normally stranded somewhere, i dont use chains or other locks when i park the bike up in town and rarely lock it in the garage.

Basically i have no NCD because i have always had trade policies, they obviously want to class me as a high risk rider (even tho' my last bike was a BMW S1000RR) so i dont want to disappoint them, basically if it gets nicked they should of given me a better price and then i may of secured it better.

If you treat someone like a risk they will act like a risk. If you take all information into account and tailor the quote accordingly they will respect that and are much less likely to make a claim.

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
Oh no! Not another plug for that money making machine known as RoSPA. The very thought of taking instruction from anyone that is a RoSPA representative leaves me thinking that I'd rather spend the night eating a botulism burger in downtown Delhi.

Bikes and biking are about enjoying life ................. not being trained to perform like a robot following a pre-programmed methodology.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh no! Not another plug for that money making machine known as RoSPA. The very thought of taking instruction from anyone that is a RoSPA representative leaves me thinking that I'd rather spend the night eating a botulism burger in downtown Delhi.

Bikes and biking are about enjoying life ................. not being trained to perform like a robot following a pre-programmed methodology.
Your right its not a plug for Rospa, i wouldnt tell anyone to do it, you missed the point i was making which is "it doesnt matter how much training you have insurance only take into account stuff that will raise your policy not lower it"

I did Rospa when i was an instructor, now i am an engineer of motorcycle parts and i ride how i want to ride. At the time i was probably the only instructor in the country with a Streetfightered RSV Mille with a one off underseat straight through exhaust and spent my days following students whilst pulling wheelies and stoppies at any oppotunity, i had 14 points on my licence and used to turn up regularly at the DSA test centre with a small number plate and black visor on a Simpson bandit lid.

I had a 98% first time pass rate and most of my students thought it was great that i didnt conform to the stereotype boring instructor

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
Your right its not a plug for Rospa, i wouldnt tell anyone to do it, you missed the point i was making which is "it doesnt matter how much training you have insurance only take into account stuff that will raise your policy not lower it"
Absolutely in agreement

I did Rospa when i was an instructor, now i am an engineer of motorcycle parts and i ride how i want to ride. At the time i was probably the only instructor in the country with a Streetfightered RSV Mille with a one off underseat straight through exhaust and spent my days following students whilst pulling wheelies and stoppies at any oppotunity, i had 14 points on my licence and used to turn up regularly at the DSA test centre with a small number plate and black visor on a Simpson bandit lid.

I had a 98% first time pass rate and most of my students thought it was great that i didnt conform to the stereotype boring instructor
You sound like a true non-conformist and interesting chappie ............... the sort of person who used to get exported to the colonies for a minor infringement of a petty rule. Have a beer on me!

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ahhh! The colonies i remember it well, ha ha! Cheers mines a Peroni

·
Registered
695 Posts
Quite simply the whole bike/car/life insurance business is a complete racket ................... like most financial services, some wide-boys in the City dream up a legalised scam to fleece Joe Public and line their own pockets. They love blinding folk with their cod science - usually based on a cocktail of secondary school level statistics and greyhound ground betting techniques.

A plague of biblical proportions on the lot of them ..............................
Regarding that highest Price is basically saying they will not insure you. but they will if your willing to pay that.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts