KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
..with my MKIII SDR ride now put back to October to fit in with the SAS service, I thought I'd try this as it's the one bike I reckon that could sway me (1100 Tuono Factory in the mix too).

IMG_3177 by KTM Marky, on Flickr

The Ducati is a lovely thing and power wise quite similar to the SDR lower down and would be out of sight up the revs. Riding position for upper body very nice although leg bend is more than the SDR from memory.

Suspension with all it's settings was sublime and the whole electronics pretty impressive. Looks bloody lovely in the metal and even with the standard pipe sounds great, strangely particularly at lower revs it's very Vee Twin like.

Go try one.. Treat yourselves!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Owned 2 Ducati's previously and both tried to kill me by developing random faults - all lights switching off on a night time ride (only to start working on restart), having a bearing pop out of the front wheel, and lastly - going into neutral at 70mph on a 5 lane motorway in rush hour & refusing to go back into any gear (only to start working again after a recovery van took it to a dealer).
Id be mad to go near another.

·
Registered
346 Posts
SF is a very nice bike but it’s a hell of a lot of money before you add on cruise, heated grips etc., end cans I think they start at £1800 and go up from there to £4800 for a full system? As for top end power, SDR has enough for me without a fairing..

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
Owned 1 Ducati. I`ll never go near another one.
I get angry just thinking about my ownership spell.
:mad:

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
I've already got the original Ducati SF. I wouldn't be spending 20+ grand on the V4. A full power 1299 twin SF might have been a different matter. Without having ridden it, the V4 would probably be too track orientated for me. Many of the things that make a bike the most fun on the road work against lap times. The V4 sounds too much like a lap time chaser.

If I was buying a new supernaked, the new SDR would be my first choice, followed by the Tuono Factory. And I probably wouldn't buy either until I'd tried the 175 bhp Speed Triple rumoured for next year. The current Speedy is an under the radar gem with a sublime chassis that gets overlooked because everyone's fixated on the big numbers. A Speedy that is there or there abouts with the big boys on power figures has to be in the mix.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Owned 2 Ducati's previously and both tried to kill me by developing random faults - all lights switching off on a night time ride (only to start working on restart), having a bearing pop out of the front wheel, and lastly - going into neutral at 70mph on a 5 lane motorway in rush hour & refusing to go back into any gear (only to start working again after a recovery van took it to a dealer).
Id be mad to go near another.
Mine was bullet proof. Only a 696. I think since Volkswagen took them over they've got rid of the faults Ducati was traditionally known for. Dog shit electrics for starters.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Servicing costs are ridiculous on the Streetfighter...I was quoted £1600 for major service then if any valves need adjusting ..thats on top ...i didn't ask if that was + vat as id hung the phone up at that point

·
Registered
5,788 Posts
Servicing costs are ridiculous on the Streetfighter...I was quoted £1600 for major service then if any valves need adjusting ..thats on top ...i didn't ask if that was + vat as id hung the phone up at that point
The Aprilia v4 isn't much better, especially the RF

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
He means the 1050 I guess
I would say so. The 765 is the Street Triple RS. The current 1050 Speed Triple has 148 bhp. New one next year said to have 175. The current bike is superb. In some tests it even beat the gen 2 SDR on lap times and top gear roll-on acceleration. That's how usable and flexible it is. If the extra 25 ponies pushed the power up top and took away the easy spread it's got now, that would indeed spoil it as a road bike as Wazza says.
If Triumph do bring out big power version, the out-going 148 bhp could become a brilliant used bargain.

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
My ten year old 1098 SF always costs at least a grand every time it goes near a workshop. V-twin Panigales are worse. A V4 version was always going to empty your pockets. Ducati parts are generally dearer than Aprilia and some main dealer workshops are over £100 an hour now.

·
Premium Member
5,891 Posts
I would say so. The 765 is the Street Triple RS. The current 1050 Speed Triple has 148 bhp. New one next year said to have 175. The current bike is superb. In some tests it even beat the gen 2 SDR on lap times and top gear roll-on acceleration. That's how usable and flexible it is. If the extra 25 ponies pushed the power up top and took away the easy spread it's got now, that would indeed spoil it as a road bike as Wazza says.
If Triumph do bring out big power version, the out-going 148 bhp could become a brilliant used bargain.
I’ve been fancying trying one for a while

·
Registered
15,158 Posts
Yeah the 1050, had a go on one a few months back, absolutely brilliant bike. I had a go on a 2013 model a few years back with a full arrow system abd the pvm wheels, that was a cracking bike too. I really like the Speedies, I’ll get one at some point 👍

You never feel intimidated by them, it’s like they got the perfect amount of everything

·
Registered
15,637 Posts
Yeah but the Speedy (and Diavel 😬) are both ugly. The Triumph frame looks like it was made in someone’s shed with a pipe bender. I agree, it would make a great track bike.
But lacks something in the build.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I recently saw a youtube video of a guy installing a rad guard to a SF V4S, took him a couple of hours. I thought he was going to have to remove the rear subframe at some point, LOL. I installed a Rad guard on my Gen3 SDR in under 5 minutes.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I hear what you're saying about Ducati and I've been riding bikes 38 years to date and never owned a Ducati.. Had c. 10 KTM's mind and x2 Aprilias that I still have today (the Aprilias I mean and one is a 2T RS250)

I do like Triumph. Their dealerships and service in my experience and I've owned a couple have been good, so I'd very happily have another although if it's built in Thailand or wherever I'd be less tempted than a Hinckley built bike.

2021 Speed Triple could indeed be a great bike - let's hope so..

1 - 20 of 103 Posts