KTM Owners Forum banner

21 - 40 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
..oh and on the SFV4S the sales guy said I had c.30 mins which I scoffed at. On my return he was most surprised I didn't throw my deposit at him and wait 3 months for delivery also paying full RRP plus OTR...

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
I hear what you're saying about Ducati and I've been riding bikes 38 years to date and never owned a Ducati.. Had c. 10 KTM's mind and x2 Aprilias that I still have today (the Aprilias I mean and one is a 2T RS250)

I do like Triumph. Their dealerships and service in my experience and I've owned a couple have been good, so I'd very happily have another although if it's built in Thailand or wherever I'd be less tempted than a Hinckley built bike.

2021 Speed Triple could indeed be a great bike - let's hope so..
Ducati Monsters have been built in Thailand for years. The Scramblers were built there from the start. As were Triumph Thunderbirds and much of their retro range, as well as BMW's smaller singles.
Harley Davidson have been building bikes in Thailand for years too. I wouldn't have the slightest qualms buying a Thai built bike. It's the Chinese shite you want to worry about

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
I find the new Rocket slightly underwhelming in the flesh for some reason. I think it may be that they've overdone it with bulbous brushed stainless/brushed aluminium bits and bobs and it all looks a bit too soft and rounded.
I'd like to have a go on one though.

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
I had a 2013 Speedy briefly. P/exed it for a Ducati (that went well..).
The 134bhp Speedy as it was then, just felt a bit lacking up top. Couldn't get comfortable on it either, kept sliding into the tank.
For all that it was a bloody good bike though. If I'd bought the sharper R version I reckon I'd have kept it.
And having owned one and got up close and personal with it, I can say without doubt that the build and finish quality was very good indeed. The pre-2011 old style bikes were a bit shakey on finish but the revamped 2013 model was in a different league and was better screwed together and finished than contempory KTMs or Ducatis. The latest bikes are better still. They are really very well made bikes and as good as anything on the market and a lot better than most.
I still don't like those placcy headlights but other than that they're cracking bikes that were designed from the start to excel on the road, not softened track bikes.

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
I bet it’s a blast. I had a Benelli Triple. Such a great engine configuration.
Worst bike I ever owned was a Benelli 1130 TNT, was like a canal boat in corners

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
The current Speedy RS is epically good, another 25 horses might ruin it, but it might just make it outrageous 😀
If I could only have one bike that had to track, tour and go out for a paper on it would be a close race between the Gen 1 or 2 SDR or the current Speed Triple RS.

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
I'd go with my Ducati Streetfighter as my ideal track bike but there's not many tracks where it'll pass the noise limit.
Only drawback really with the Triumph triples is they are quite heavy and top heavy at that. When I chopped my Speedy in, riding home the Ducati felt like a razor blade with half the weight.
When the 765 Street Triple RS came out it had virtually a brand new engine with a major redesign and massive internal weight savings. I imagine they'll do the same trick with the new Speed Triple next year. That would make it a whole new ball game.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Servicing costs are ridiculous on the Streetfighter...I was quoted £1600 for major service then if any valves need adjusting ..thats on top ...i didn't ask if that was + vat as id hung the phone up at that point
Don't go to offical dealers mate, problem solved. Plenty of people working on ducatis

·
Registered
289 Posts
Ducati is pinnacle of quality every since Audi bought them. Had Diavel for 3 years, managed 20k kms on it, no issues whatsoever.

IMO, the 2 best naked ever built are SDR gen2 and Ducati SF.

Gen3 is a mistake, especially with that hideous stock exhaust.

·
Registered
5,794 Posts
Ducati is pinnacle of quality every since Audi bought them. Had Diavel for 3 years, managed 20k kms on it, no issues whatsoever.

IMO, the 2 best naked ever built are SDR gen2 and Ducati SF.

Gen3 is a mistake, especially with that hideous stock exhaust.
You lost me as soon as you mentioned gen2

·
Registered
15,279 Posts
As you know I’ve had a fucking truck load of bikes and nothing beats the Gen 1 SDR. Yes it needs a bit of fettling but most bikes do don’t they ? Once done it’s so good. I’ve not had a test ride on a gen 3 yet but have had a go on the V4 SF and it’s no street bike, it’s insane top end. The Tuono Factory is mega abd Id like to ride both a S1000R and a Monster 1200R to see how they go

·
Registered
289 Posts
As you know I’ve had a fucking truck load of bikes and nothing beats the Gen 1 SDR. Yes it needs a bit of fettling but most bikes don’t they ? Once done it’s so good. I’ve not had a test ride on a gen 3 yet but have had a go on the V4 SF and it’s no street bike, it’s insane top end. The Tuono Factory is mega abd Id like to ride both a S1000R and a Monster 1200R to see how they go
SDR Gen1 is nice too. I just like the front end styling of Gen2 better.

Tuono is a hideous duck, no idea who buys or rides them, lots of people have no taste these days. Their supersport line up and X versions are sexy, but naked - no.

Monster is just a lady scooter.

21 - 40 of 103 Posts