KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I fancy a change, currently I have a 2004 BMW R1150GS Adventure.

I know someone who is selling a 2007 KTM 990 Adventure.

Do I sell my BMW 24,000 miles and get this KTM with 5,000 miles.

Is the KTM a fun bike?

Any advise would be helpful.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hi Mate, I've had both and still have the KTM, initial differences the BM is a long haul plodder where as the KTM is a sportier version , plus to the BM, tank range, easier to service and work on, in my opinion, shaft drive. Down side size and weight when full up. Not as nifty if you want to try some gravel stuff etc in europe. Everybody has one.
KTM plus nippy, sporty , handles really well, lighter, wife thinks its better two up than the GS, bit of a pain to work on as everything is under the tanks, mileage before refuel approx 140. Two fillers are a pain to some but never bothered me, wide as fxxk with the pannier system, I built up some peli cases, Chain drive. Every one will have their opinion, you ned to try it but honestly it'll be like going from a Goldwing to a Blackbird re size and performance, that said I keep looking at the old 1150 gsa's they're great long haul bikes.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I changed my commute/touring bike from a 2010 GSA to a 2012 KTM 990 Adv in mid August. Spadger pretty nails it above. The GSA is great for long mile munching journeys with the large screen, long distance comfort and 33l tank range. But is a bit of a chunky monkey, and not really in he same league as a "fun" bike as the KTM. That said, the KTM was great on a circa 500 mile round trip recently, I found the standard screen to be ok, but the standard seat gave me arse ache after approx 120 miles, but that is pretty much in time for refuelling! As for commuting (circa 50 mile round trip per day) The KTM is much better in terms of acceleration/traffic filtering given its more svelte like dimensions (without panniers).

I did I mention the 990 Adv is more fun? ;)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Yea Penile's right about the arse ache you do welcome the petrolstops although my missus who has a bigger arse than me has never complained

·
Registered
18 Posts
BMW is an awesome bike, I had one briefly, and its a superbly engineered bike. Unfortunately, its also, in my opinion, dull as dishwater.
I've got to enjoy the view when the garage door goes up, and feel alive on a ride. The BMW had to go.
I am, however, very much enjoying KTM ownership.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Yea Penile's right about the arse ache you do welcome the petrolstops although my missus who has a bigger arse than me has never complained
I do hope for your own life expectancy that your lovely lady doesn't read this....

Made me laugh out loud though!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts