KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought a 2012 690 Duke new just 2 years ago now. I know this because my warranty is now up and I will not be able to afford the bike outside warranty. My experience is thus:
  1. Disintegrating indicator switch at week 2 - new switches!
  2. Weld failure at catalytic convertor to tail pipe join - new cat!
  3. Chain broke in town at 8500 miles - never done that before!
  4. Fuel tank let large volumes of water in and petrol out due to a 'deformation at the filler cap end of things - new fuel tank! Can't see why the replacement would be any different though.
  5. Catastrophic gearbox failure at 12000 miles - arguing warranty issues with dealer who spent the last 2 weeks at the IOM TT - still unresolved!
The dealer informed me (yesterday) that they had no record of a service history. Their record-keeping problem as I have the schedules and receipts. I changed the oil before its 12000 mile service; dealer claims it may be the wrong oil - I used the recommended (not sure why) 10-60 and it is bloody expensive.
So, I cannot trust either the bike or the dealer and it is now easy to see why KTM didn't supply Ewan and Charlie with machines - might not have made it to Germany!
I have had many machines over my 45 years of riding almost daily and I have never felt this way about a machine that is an amazing tool otherwise.
Going Japanese (or BMW again) and will never look at or recommend a KTM again - I have had to use my RAC membership 3 times in 2 years on a new bike. Rubbish.
:mad::mad::mad: Farewell!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad::mad::mad:

·
Registered
639 Posts
Not good news. i've heard too many bad opinions re reliability of late KTM bikes... would make me think twice before buying brand new KTM.
On another note, you didn't mention any issues with handling. if you like how it rides, buy any pre 2008 SM, SD or Adventure and you should be fine. Seems like the older models are better built.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Sounds like a bad experience. Whatever about going Japanese, be careful with current BM's. There have been and are currently, all sorts of problems with them, and in saying that I am talking gearboxes, engines, driveshafts and out of line frames. That kind of puts a broken chain and an indicator switch into perspective, although I cant argue about your gearbox. It seems to be the norm nowadays for most manufacturers to develop bikes on computers and then let the customers do the testing and development for them. My 690 has been relatively trouble free over 22,000 kms as has my 950SM. Can't say the same about my Triumph Explorer though. It is sorted now, but not before receiving a new Cylinder head and ECU and clutch.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Vic; you may well be right but buying an older model seems wrong somehow. Besides, they've blown it for me!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds like a bad experience. Whatever about going Japanese, be careful with current BM's. There have been and are currently, all sorts of problems with them, and in saying that I am talking gearboxes, engines, driveshafts and out of line frames. That kind of puts a broken chain and an indicator switch into perspective, although I cant argue about your gearbox. It seems to be the norm nowadays for most manufacturers to develop bikes on computers and then let the customers do the testing and development for them. My 690 has been relatively trouble free over 22,000 kms as has my 950SM. Can't say the same about my Triumph Explorer though. It is sorted now, but not before receiving a new Cylinder head and ECU and clutch.
i hear what you are saying and, yes, I've had 3 BMs all of which had problems but none of which required RAC call outs. By the way, I forgot to include my fuel tank replacement at about 10000 miles (about £900 I am led to believe?). The local BM dealer was (is?) superb and their customer support was excellent - even some 'good will' stuff out of warranty! i heard about the Triumph cylinder heads etc. It all reminds me of Honda's old CX/cam chain fiascos. Showing my age now....

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
i think sometimes you just get a duff one. dont think ktm have the QC down like the japs do. strongly advise that you try out a 950 sm before you give up on KTM altogether.

·
Registered
6,917 Posts
All bikes have their problems - some are duffers most are great.

My 950 has had a new tank under warranty because it kept going white in winter - no quibble from KTM head office.
I was only asking what the problem was initially but they didn't know but gave me a replacement anyway (yes £990 at the time for mine).
Turns out it may be the ethanol in petrol and subsequent moisture on the inside and the bike being covered during the winter so I've still got a nice new tank 'just in case'.

Bikes and cars are horrendously complex things so I, for one, wouldn't be surprised if the odd thing fails.
When hundreds of them do, then it's a serious complaint.

I had a 'Friday' Golf 4Motion that I only kept a year but I would still consider another VW - sh*t happens sometimes.

But the grass isn't always greener.......

Ducati would never survive if everyone sold theirs because of crap electrics!!!

From what I've read and heard, BMW bikes are hardly paragons of virtue. Yes, I do remember the CX500 fiasco - but that serves owners right for buying one in the first place!!

Reactions: fredN4

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I bought a BMW R1150GS in 2001. It fell apart and the "leading" BMW I bought it from was next to useless.

It happens with all manufacturers I'm afraid, and you take a gamble buying any vehicle, new or used!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I hear you, but crappy electrics are inexcusable in this day and age. Besides not quite the same thing. My problems have not been endearing idiosyncrasies (though sometimes I think there is more money than sense about). Add up the cost of switch gear, cat and gearbox!!! Outside warranty even 60mpg wouldn't make up for something nearing £1000 per year excluding hassle. This is the 21st century and KTM are not a 50s Brit bike! It simply is untenable. Sorry but there it is. :mad:

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
Most of mine have been great but this last one has tested my patience at times , character building you could say :(

I've thought about going back to a ujm but know there's nothing that will quite tick all the boxes the 950 does ;)

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
I bought a 2012 690 Duke new just 2 years ago now. I know this because my warranty is now up and I will not be able to afford the bike outside warranty. My experience is thus:
  4. Fuel tank let large volumes of water in and petrol out due to a 'deformation at the filler cap end of things - new fuel tank! Can't see why the replacement would be any different though.
  5. Catastrophic gearbox failure at 12000 miles - arguing warranty issues with dealer who spent the last 2 weeks at the IOM TT - still unresolved!
The dealer informed me (yesterday) that they had no record of a service history. Their record-keeping problem as I have the schedules and receipts. I changed the oil before its 12000 mile service; dealer claims it may be the wrong oil - I used the recommended (not sure why) 10-60 and it is bloody expensive.
So, I cannot trust either the bike or the dealer and it is now easy to see why KTM didn't supply Ewan and Charlie with machines - might not have made it to Germany!
I have had many machines over my 45 years of riding almost daily and I have never felt this way about a machine that is an amazing tool otherwise.
Going Japanese (or BMW again) and will never look at or recommend a KTM again - I have had to use my RAC membership 3 times in 2 years on a new bike. Rubbish.
:mad::mad::mad: Farewell!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad::mad::mad:
Another member who joins the forum and at Post No.10 has an emotional rant about his awful experience with a 690.

Pity he failed to do his homework and read about these bikes and the dealers before purchasing his bike.

Pity the next owner of that bike with no warranty .......... Not that I know anything about a 690 that self destructed and couldn't be fixed by KTM dealerships

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Change dealer, find good workshop. Where are you in the world. Chains break cos there on to tight or real real old, just changed mine with 20k miles...could have got another 5k I reckon.....what went wrong with the gearbox....output shaft bearings.
My dealer is the only one in Northern Ireland; not exactly spoiled for choice then. I do have an excellent mechanic but warranty issues have precluded him thus far but not any longer - at least until I can get rid of the thing! My chain was kept as near to 'text book' as I could keep it without adjusting it every day. I even understood the little diagram near the chain; it is very ambiguous! I have heard reports of 2012 690s breaking chains at much less than 8000 miles. By the way, I am way too old for wheelies, kak-handed or otherwise, for fear of making an arse of myself! Don't know what went wrong with the gearbox - the dealer has been too busy trying to weasel his way out of a warranty claim for the topic to come up yet!

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
    . I changed the oil before its 12000 mile service

1. You changed the oil before it's 12000 mile service..... So you rode nearly 12k before chaging the oil....

Gearbox failure at 12k..... Ever changed that oil?

8500k on a chain.... Ever cleaned or lubed it....

Dude you can't rely on someone else (dealer) to maintain your bike, get some tools out and look after your shit......

Oh and ta-ta...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You changed the oil before it's 12000 mile service..... So you rode nearly 12k before chaging the oil....

Gearbox failure at 12k..... Ever changed that oil?

8500k on a chain.... Ever cleaned or lubed it....

Dude you can't rely on someone else (dealer) to maintain your bike, get some tools out and look after your shit......

Oh and ta-ta...
Dood; the bike has had all its dealer services by the book, regular oil checks and top-ups along with additional oil changes 'cos that's the sort of bloke I am. No, I never considered cleaning or lubricating the chain - except every Sunday. i have owned and ridden bikes of all sorts for about 45 years now and have never had failures such as the ones I mentioned and know well how to ride, maintain, race and restore bikes.

I suggest you get yourself informed about a particular bike's service regime before you start getting shit on your tool....

1 - 20 of 38 Posts