KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had starting issues. Again. Bat flattery again. I was in all my kit, and running late. So I grabbed my jump starter pack, connected it to the battery terminals, and hit the button. It turned over a few times, fired a few times, and then stuttered into life.

The engine light stayed on. After I had run it up to temp I turned it off, left it s minute or two, and started it again. All ok this time.

But when I told a mate about this he said you shouldn't jump start them. Really? Its only 12v. Why wouldn't that be ok?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Cant see why, could he explain why he thought this?
It'll throw error codes because of the low battery, but they'll clear as you found out.
Never had a problem jump starting my 1190 adventure in the cold months. Every time I wanted out for a run when it was below 5 degrees I'd need the jump battery. No problems in 2 winters and many starts. For info, mine was a 2013 with the shite underpowered starter.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
'Only 12V'.........what Voltage does he think a car is?

Should be fine in my opinion. Perhaps time for a new battery?

·
Registered
16,383 Posts
A lot of people panic jumpstarting because of the ECU or something, one of those rumours that started years ago, it's bollocks.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Ecu's have been damaged when people have connected batteries incorrectly. Positive to positive then negative to negative. Leave the key out of the ignition until battery is connected to jump source. There is a chance of coding corruption of the key if its in the ignition. This also includes keyless bikes. Only turn ignition on after terminals are connected between batteries.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had starting issues. Again. Bat flattery again. I was in all my kit, and running late. So I grabbed my jump starter pack, connected it to the battery terminals, and hit the button. It turned over a few times, fired a few times, and then stuttered into life.

The engine light stayed on. After I had run it up to temp I turned it off, left it s minute or two, and started it again. All ok this time.

But when I told a mate about this he said you shouldn't jump start them. Really? Its only 12v. Why wouldn't that be

·
Registered
9 Posts
My understanding is that a jump pack is a constant 12v but if using jump leads from a car it can fluctuate up to as much as 18v due to modern cars being so electronic heavy and being very trick in their ability. They can blow up ecu’s etc on the bike/car being jump started.
Jump pack should be ok but I don’t like using them and always prefer to put the battery on charge.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts