KTM Owners Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
My mate filled his VFR1200 with diesel in Switzerland - the nice garage man had an electric pump we could borrow (obviously we weren't the first stupid customers he had) so we drained it and filled it with the right stuff. It was a little smoky for a bit but no long lasting ill effects

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
A mate filled his Yam WR250F with diesel. The EFI wasn't impressed but we got it going in the end. There was just enough petrol in the pipes, pump and filters to get from the fuel station to a boggy trail before it stopped. Perfect timing.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Yeah, Shell V-Max diesel (fucking stupid red nozzle) in my 990. Ran it for half a mile until it died…
Dragged it home, drained the tanks, flushed with a bit of petrol and drained again, brimmed it with petrol and fired it up (after a bit of cranking and a load of smoke). Still goes like fuck, it seemed to like it!

·
Premium Member
9,705 Posts
Yeah, in my old RFS. Drained it out into the waste oil tank at the garage where l filled up, refilled with petrol. No probs.

I also put 1/2 a tank in a petrol s3 landy years ago. Noticed the error with lumpy kangoroing and smokescreen, stopped at nextgarage and brimmed with 98. Still a bit rough and smokey but ok really.

No experience with doing it in anything more modern/f.i.

Tell yourself / your friend, just to drop it and get fuel into it. Treat it as a super dose of upper cylinder lubricant!

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
Yeah, Shell V-Max diesel (fucking stupid red nozzle) in my 990. Ran it for half a mile until it died…
Dragged it home, drained the tanks, flushed with a bit of petrol and drained again, brimmed it with petrol and fired it up (after a bit of cranking and a load of smoke). Still goes like fuck, it seemed to like it!
Makes sense. A lot of petrol fuel system cleaners are full of paraffin which is pretty close to diesel. So you’ve probably given it a mega clean out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Exactly that “he” thought it was E5

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
We had a customer who put petrol in his diesel, Nothing new there but it must have been a good mix of both fuels as the engine ran (badly) long enough to melt the ends of the injectors and start to melt the head and pistons...engine was toast...it was a lease vehicle, they paid for the repairs (complete new engine, fuel punp etc etc) and then charged the customer 😁

Reactions: Miner

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have the Triple Crown now, put petrol in a diesel van in the military, put petrol in our lasses diesel car (we both has silver E46’s at the time, me a 325i, her a 330D, don’t ask) and now the bike, I really I don’t know how I manage to get to work some days!

·
Registered
KTM RC8
187 Posts
Yeah, CBR6, realised after 7 litres went in. Out came the under seat tool kit, lifted tank, undid external fuel hose before filter, drained into a bucket. 30 minutes to rectify, all on the forecourt of the garage. Does grass like diesel?

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I don’t think so! You would have probably been better off just poring it down the forecourt drain as by law they need to have interceptors

1 - 17 of 17 Posts