KTM Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All
Just bought my first offroad bike. Got 4 or 5 years experience of road bikes.
So I know I need to buy different Kit starting with Boots, will try to use my road kit until I find out for myself what's important in choosing off road kit.
The bike is a 2001 with about 3300 (Km's i think) on the clock. Hasn't been MOT'd for over a year so that's one of the first jobs - I won't be using a van/trailer, just riding to the Green Lanes. I know the rear light doesn't work so hoping that's just a bulb required.

My Girlfriend has already complained how loud it is with a Remus (IIRC) race can - so might be looking for a standard can. Are these plentiful?

The seller told me it's 40:1 for the 2 Stroke oil, is that correct?
What other servicing should I be considering?

Many thanks in advance:)

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Good choice of bike :smokin:

Invest in some good boots and bash hat because you will be falling off , oil mix is easy just get a jerry can 20ltr and pour half a litre of good quality fully synthetic oil like castrol tts in and fill up with fuel give it a shake an job done .

Ditch the end can and get a standard one fitted they are just as good as anything aftermarket ;)

Research your lanes carefully so you dont end up having a run in with the old bill or angry farmer / rambliar , possibly join your local trf if you want more info ..

Enjoy your new toy ..

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
As to kit buy what the best you can afford you will def need boots, jacket and trousers,body armour, gloves,goggles and Helmet.

·
Registered
984 Posts
KTM say to run it between 40:1 and 60:1, so I run mine on 50:1. Don't get caught up by the idea that more oil = safer, because more oil means less fuel going through the carb (unless you have the carb rejetted to suit the richer oil:fuel mixture).... which will cause the fuel to burn hotter, and potentially cause a seizure or piston damage.

Standard rear light bulbs will blow very frequently due to the vibrations - get an LED bulb fitted. Kev always recommended soldering the bulb to the rear light loom to prevent dodgy connections, but mine has been fitted normally for several years without any problems.

As Eggflan said - standard can is probably the best bet. Mine got damaged and replaced with an FMF Q pipe.... Noise wise the FMF is a bit louder than stock but not that much, but the main disadvantage is that the tail end of the can sits too close to the rear subframe, so it's awkward to fit your hand in there to lift the rear end of the bike (the stock can has an elbow to allow a longer can, but maintain a decent gap)

Get a case saver / clutch slave cylinder protector on there if it doesn't have one already.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Enjoy it mate....;)

I have ended up with a 250 exc (06) and I love it...:666: I needed to tame mine down a little cos they are bloody quick so I am running slightly higher gearing (15t front and 50t rear) which takes the "I am going to rip your arms off and beat you with the soggy end" feel out of it...:redface: (I am a beginner in off road but have 20 years exp of powerful bikes :eek:)

You WILL be falling off (more than you think) so good boots, lid and some armour are essential...you will; also get KNACKERED so some lightweight breatheable gear would be good too...;)

Oh and exhausts....Standard or FMF pipes are probably your best bet (IMHO) but dont pay a fortune as it will be getting beat up...:D

HTH, Cheers Dave.

·
Registered
5,509 Posts
you'll need good boots helmet pants jacket and gloves m8, mat gardner has some bargains on ebay!!
then just go out take it steady build your confidence and enjoy

·
Registered
887 Posts
Oh, As for oil...I do 50:1 and only ever use good stuff (Motul 800 off road) expensive but worth it...;)

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
oops sorry for the delay replying! I did type out a long one replying to everyone but I clicked the wrong button and lost it all & couldn't face doing it again

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So...I've looked at my bike again to see what it needs for an MOT.
I managed to fix the rear light -the earth in the loom to it was broken so now I have a tail light (and head light & side light bulb replaced so it now works too) and brake light from the rear brake - but there is no switch on the front brake or any apparent wiring! So what does it need for MOT? I read somewhere else that a Supermoto didn't come with brake light but as it still had front & rear lights it got a full MOT.

If I can't get a full MOT - do I have the choice of getting a daytime MOT or would I need to strip all the lights off?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
And the rear wheel - it is missing one mount for the sprocket bolts. But I also got another rear wheel thrown in - but that tyre is a 'Not for road use' Motocross only tyre so it won't pass the MOT either.
So what's the eaiest route to get it throught the MOT? get the wheel with a broken hub rebuilt? Replace the not for road use tyre? or buy a complete wheel & tyre?

Possibly thinking of getting a couple of 17" wheels to supermoto the bike. Is it good for that? or is 250 too small for the road?

The rear tyre on it is an 140/80/18 on a 18/2.15 wheel. Is that standard? the spare wheel has a 100/90/19. Will that be OK for the bike?

If I go for a whole new wheel - what bike's wheels will fit?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Suppose I should get a manual for the bike - any good places to get that, or just ebay?

·
Registered
984 Posts
So...I've looked at my bike again to see what it needs for an MOT.
I managed to fix the rear light -the earth in the loom to it was broken so now I have a tail light (and head light & side light bulb replaced so it now works too) and brake light from the rear brake - but there is no switch on the front brake or any apparent wiring! So what does it need for MOT? I read somewhere else that a Supermoto didn't come with brake light but as it still had front & rear lights it got a full MOT.

If I can't get a full MOT - do I have the choice of getting a daytime MOT or would I need to strip all the lights off?
The brake light thing is a bit of a grey area - if I remember the rules correctly, bikes over a certain age are allowed to have the brake light triggered by one switch only, but newer bikes have to have both switches fitted and working.

Can't remember what year it came into effect, but it doesn't really matter in practice, as what usually counts is what the MOT tester thinks the rules are rather than what they actually are. Most will insist on both, but there are places out there that won't. Best bet as always is to speak to the MOT place before you book it in, so you know what they expect to see.

That said, it's not a big deal to fit a brake light switch on the front. The wiring loom should be all in place up to the connector block by the headstock. If you've got a standard KTM master cylinder, you can just buy a switch from any KTM dealer that will clip on to your M/C and plug straight in.

If you've got a different master cylinder, then you'd probably need a pressure switch, but that's pretty simple to fit too.

You'd need to remove all the lights for a daytime MOT. Horn still has to work though!

And the rear wheel - it is missing one mount for the sprocket bolts. But I also got another rear wheel thrown in - but that tyre is a 'Not for road use' Motocross only tyre so it won't pass the MOT either.
So what's the eaiest route to get it throught the MOT? get the wheel with a broken hub rebuilt? Replace the not for road use tyre? or buy a complete wheel & tyre?
Is the tyre legal on the wheel with the broken hub? If so, couldn't you just get the legal tyre fitted to the non-broken wheel? If you can't get a tyre company to fit tyres you supply, then maybe there's someone off here that'd be handy with tyre levers and willing to help?

If you'd be up for selling that broken wheel - I've got a rear wheel that needs a new rim, so if yours is in reasonable condition I could try making one out of the two.

Possibly thinking of getting a couple of 17" wheels to supermoto the bike. Is it good for that? or is 250 too small for the road?
Do it. Mine's hilarious fun. Plenty quick enough for the road. Probably quick enough for the track too, but I'm the limiting factor on that one, unfortunately :D

The rear tyre on it is an 140/80/18 on a 18/2.15 wheel. Is that standard? the spare wheel has a 100/90/19. Will that be OK for the bike?
The 18" wheel is the standard one. The 19" one is probably off an SX. Would have more choice of MX tyres in 19" fitment, but more road legal / enduro legal options in 18"

If I go for a whole new wheel - what bike's wheels will fit?
Just about anything Husaberg or KTM EXC / SX / MXC or LC4 from around 2000 on.

Suppose I should get a manual for the bike - any good places to get that, or just ebay?
I've got a few genuine KTM ones on pdf I can email ya if you PM an address

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just to update this.
Got an MOT last week & went out on it on Sunday Wow it was great fun! :D
For the MOT because it doesn't have a front brake light switch I covered up all the lights. I ended up with an advisory that no lights were fitted at the time of MOT (no advice not to ride it at night though) (NB Horn & reflectors were still required)
Because my 18" rear wheel was damaged I fitted a 19" wheel (that came with the bike) although the Motocross only stamped on the tyre may have had an accident with a sander before the MOT :-dd
Got home from the MOT uncovered the lights & swapped the wheel and ready to go!
Had a great time on Sunday, but was using twice as much fuel as my Girlfriend on her 4 stroke Serrow plus half a bottle of oil as well, but hey at least it goes DING DING DING!
What tyre pressures do you run? I set both to 20 before going out - thought it would be better than the 5 or 6 I presume they'd fallen to.
Fell off a couple of times off road & once on the road - Christ these knobblies have no grip on the road (under full throttle acceleration ;))

·
Registered
984 Posts
Just to update this.
Got an MOT last week & went out on it on Sunday Wow it was great fun! :D
For the MOT because it doesn't have a front brake light switch I covered up all the lights. I ended up with an advisory that no lights were fitted at the time of MOT (no advice not to ride it at night though) (NB Horn & reflectors were still required)
Because my 18" rear wheel was damaged I fitted a 19" wheel (that came with the bike) although the Motocross only stamped on the tyre may have had an accident with a sander before the MOT :-dd
Got home from the MOT uncovered the lights & swapped the wheel and ready to go!
Had a great time on Sunday, but was using twice as much fuel as my Girlfriend on her 4 stroke Serrow plus half a bottle of oil as well, but hey at least it goes DING DING DING!
What tyre pressures do you run? I set both to 20 before going out - thought it would be better than the 5 or 6 I presume they'd fallen to.
Fell off a couple of times off road & once on the road - Christ these knobblies have no grip on the road (under full throttle acceleration ;))
I tend to run mine around 15 for mixed on/off road stuff, but lower if there's minimal tarmac involved. Maybe as low as 5, but I don't really know as I doubt my pressure gauge is anything like accurate at those kinds of pressures.

If you're running low pressures though, make sure you've got rimlocks fitted - otherwise there's a far higher chance of the tyre spinning on the rim and ripping the valve out.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts