KTM Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm new to the forum and new to KTM, I've recently agreed to swap my 2007 R1 for a 2008 SD. I've always liked the look of the SD but I still love my R1, I just fancy a change.

I'm going to collect the SD later tonight. I really hope I've not made a mistake...

·
Registered
446 Posts
^^ depends whether you like frickin' awesome bikes or not :D :D

seriously though, you'll ever love it or you'll hate it. Plenty of people come over from big IL4s and love the SD, then again some soon find it's not their cup of tea and go back where they came from ;)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I'm looking forward to trying it out! I'll post my 1st thoughts once I've got it home.

·
Registered
6,641 Posts
Some people love the change... One or two hate it and go straight back to the Jap IL4s... it all depends what you want from a bike.

There is no question both are a lot of fun, they just deliver in very different ways. What you will get from a Superduke is one of the nicest engines available in a production bike, with an awesome chassis with quality suspension and brakes, packaged up in a bike that has become a class-defining icon, and for good reason.

...but then, it's obvious what we all think.

The guy who sold me my SDR hated it... He went straight back to an R1. ...His loss, my gain.

Thank fook we don't all want the same bikes, or I'd never find mine in the bikepark at the NEC. LOL.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I'm now a part of the KTM SD gang!

Cool bike, it's got nothing like the power and (suprisingly) the handling of the R1 - but I like it. I'm after some thrills at lower speed anyway. My 1st ride was 90% motorway, which is IL4 sportbike territory so I need to get it out on some more suitable roads. The SD feels very light in the front at 90mph compared to the R1 which feels planted at 140mph! I love the engine, the power is in a differnet place. I'm not new to twins so I kinda knew what to expect compared to an IL4, but this is by far the best twin I've ridden.

I know I have to get used to it but my first impression is that I can't seem to get it to turn in nicely on the roundabouts, but this may be due to the fact that the previous owner has played with the suspension settings and he is way taller and heavier than me.

My first job will be to put the suspension setting back to standard and go from there. The guy never rode the thing so tyre pressures may be out. I want to buy some short levers for it and fit a tail tidy too (pitty you have to hack up the OEM tail though).

Can anyone tell me if it's worth fitting a Power Commander? Would the SD benefit enough to justify the price?

I'll post some pic's of it soon. It's gorgeous white and the previous owner did a good job of it with the cans and accessories, although some of you may have seen it as it was on eBay recently.

Cheers,
Clayton

·
Registered
6,641 Posts
Superdukes are easy to set-up and easy to fuck up. When I got my 08 SDR the previous owner had made it unrideable; - with squared off tyres, suspension all outta whack, and he'd put bar-risers and a corbin seat on. The whole thing was a mess. ...He also had the steering damper on full. It was seriously awful, and if i hadn't owned a Superduke before I'd have thought they were all crap and not bought it.

Get the settings back to standard, make sure your tyres have the correct pressure and have a decent profile, check bar and lever position, and then have a play.

If you weigh less than 80kg dry then SDRs are a little firmly sprung and you may need help fiddling about to get the rider sag correct. The guys at HM racing transformed mine in an hour, and it's even better now I've just had a lighter front spring fitted, but you can also do a lot with changing fork oil and/or fork oil volume.

Personally I found the SDR much harder to turn-in than the standard SD - and I put this down to stiffer front end, as there was MUCH less fork compression on braking, which makes a big difference to steering head angle in corners. Now I have softer springs the SDR turns-in much quicker. (Also check the damper settings. I keep mine on zero)

You don't have to hack up the OEM tail to fit the RG Racing tail tidy. It just bolts on (I think).

I had a power commander on both my bikes. They're good because you get a bespoke tune on the bike, but in terms of value for money - or bhp:£££ - it's 90% as good to just buy some Akra cans and get the KTM/Akra map. If you change the filter, airbox or anything else, you may need the PC though - although lotsa guys (see Super Duke 990) just try various KTM maps and see how things run, even with major mods.

Once all that is sorted, get used to short-shifting, riding elbows-up, set your attitude on E.V.I.L and you'll never look back. ;)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the tips and good advice.

The lever position is another thing, mine are so low that I can hardly reach them at the moment. I'm weigh about 85Kgs so I'll take it all the settings back to standard and see how it goes from there.

As for the can's, my SD has Remus ovals fitted. Remus is not my fav brand, but they look and sound awsome on this bike. I wonder if there are any maps out there for Remus....

·
Registered
6,641 Posts
Dutch...he's got a normal SD, not an SDR matey ;)
Well spotted... The rest stands tho. :D

...er, ...apart from the sterring damper and hard front springs bit. LOL. :redface:

·
Registered
6,641 Posts
Tyres woudl be my first check. Then suspension setup. Your weight should be spot-on for the standard SD springs.

Coming from a sports bike you might also appreciate rearsets and flatter bars at some point?

Check online with RG Racing for downloadable fitting instructions for their tail tidy, but I'm 99% sure you don't need to chop anything off.

·
Registered
705 Posts
If you want to release a few ponies and get the most awesome induction roar, get yourself one of these, quite a few of us have one its a whole new airbox and rocks!

·
Registered
5,801 Posts
I also recently went back to an SD and found the front end fucking awful. Happily, like Dutch, i knew it wasn't the SD at fault. Check of my pressures, and suspension improved it... then a replacement front transofrmed it. The front was flattend on the right side at an angle, which meant it was a disgrace :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Coming from a sports bike you might also appreciate rearsets and flatter bars at some point?
Not right away, but it may be a good idea eventually. I found the R1 extremely comfortable but I'm enjoying the naked upright feeling.

I've read the instructions on the R&G tail tidy and I think you are right Dutch, no mention of cutting anything. £78.29 ex Vat though, I'll have to start a wish list of essential bits!

Superdan, I do want to release some extra ponies so I will keep an eye out for one of those, thanks.

The bike has not even done 2K miles since new so the tyres are ok, as you guys have said it must be pressures and setup. I'm reassured by all your comments that it is not an SD issue.

There are a few small things to sort out and I'm sure me and the SD are going to have a good time together.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Well I'm now a part of the KTM SD gang!

Can anyone tell me if it's worth fitting a Power Commander? Would the SD benefit enough to justify the price?

Cheers,
Clayton
my advice is No the power commander isn't worth the cost. it may be if you add the airbox mod but I don't see much difference with a after market air filter. i have tried plugging it and unplugging it. can't tell the diff and yes I have a custom dyno too. save your money and get good rubber.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Vertigo66. That is interesting.

The good news is that I've pumped the tyres up to the correct pressure, set the suspension back to standard, moved the levers to where I want them and it's so much better. I've taken the baffles out too - it makes an awesome noise now.

Just need to get some miles on it now...

·
Registered
385 Posts
Hey Clayton, I just did the tail tidy on mine last month. I went with one from Evotech. The R&G one still keeps that funny looking beak thing under the tail light whereas the Evotech does away with that all together. I reckon it looks heaps better but does mean you have to cut it off. It's a very neat job though and doesn't look aftermarket which I like. They make it specifically for the SD so fits like a glove. Do a search for Evotech as I put a couple of pics up.
BTW nice colour choice, white ones are a bit faster than orange or black;)

·
Registered
132 Posts
Lol.....Give me the R1 over a SD anyday. The R1 is a proper tool I like it fast though...Who wants frills at lower speed lol sounds like you have lost your mojo mate? is there such a thing? do you get frills riding a 125 at 40mph er no....R1 baby all day everyday...Nice peice of weaponary...

You would of been better wirh an EXC/SMR Motard at least there punchy and fun to ride..easy to throw about

1 - 20 of 32 Posts