KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I am due the 18000 how much am i looking at just been quoted around the £800 mark i thought was a bit steep.
They said could be a bit less depending on if there no problems or could be a bit more if it needs shims.
Is the around what they charge now i am based in Manchester thanks.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Shop around, £550 - £650 is probably more reasonable depending on if shims need changing, and as I understand it they normally do not, IIRC my 1190 18k came in at just over £600 but I also had the fuel filters done which added £100 as KTM want £80 for a few O Rings and a couple of 10p filters.

·
Premium Member
7,504 Posts
Do they ever need to be shimmed? I have NEVER had to shim a bike. They just seem to stay in spec ..... far cry from the old nut and bolt set up.

If the bike wont start from cold, that signals shimming required (imo)

You could always strip the bike down and van it to the dealer to just do the check.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi thanks sent a couple emails out today to other dealers see what they come up with.I can live with £500 - £600 thats what i was expecting think £800 plus bit of a rip of cheers

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Do they ever need to be shimmed? I have NEVER had to shim a bike. They just seem to stay in spec ..... far cry from the old nut and bolt set up.
Seems to depend on the bike, I had several large Kwaks (ZZR1000 / 2 ZX9R's / ZZR1400) and they nearly always need a load changing at the first check then never move after that.

Yamaha's seem to be very good, I know a few Super Tenere owners who have got to 70k+ and never needed any, unheard of for them to need one before 50k.

My understanding is the LC8's rarely need shims swapping, and if they do move they will close up, rather than open up (which is what leads to burned out valves and ruined heads)

Mech at local dealer told me even the Enduro bikes tend to stay in spec.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I've decided i am going to do it my self and a mate of my brothers he's worked on v twins all his life so he will check the valves once it is striped down.
Just one question am i going to get any nasty surprises popping up on dashboard after its all sorted and put back together thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts