KTM Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of November's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right lads it’s time for me to move on from a sports bike as I am to old & fat the bike that has always caught my eye is a 1090 R any of you guys out there owned one as I am after a bit of feedback ??? it will be ridden 100% on road.

·
Registered
ktm1090 Adventure
12 Posts
For road use only would you not be better off with the standard 1090 Adventure ?
With its 19"/17" wheels and more road orientated tyres.
The standard Adventure might not have the same multi adjustable suspension as the R model but you will not notice the difference

·
Registered
902 Posts
Been using an 1190R on road for years. The larger front wheel does make a difference turning in but I've been riding 950's and 990's since '03 and have had no problems. I like the looks of the R over the standard, taller bikes suit me better being "normal" unlike the short arse's.

Tyres are fine...using TKC 70's ...which means if a dry trail pops up you can at least have a go.

I still have the madness of the 1290 SDR sitting in the garage, but my go to bike is the 1190R. Lots of power and can play with most nutters, but will eat up the miles if necessary.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I went from a 950 ADV to the 1090R , i would say it doesn't quite have the character of the 950 but it is the modern equivalent of the old 950/990.
For me, it was all the electricery that came with the 1190/1290 that i bought the 1090R. Not used it much off road as i did the 950 but it still a fantastic machine, not as quick as the others at 125bhp but miles ahead of any other marques for similar money and still an amazing all round bike, You wont go wrong with any of them to be honest just get the latest low mileage one you can for the money.
What one have you seen ?

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I have owned a 1090 / 1190 / 1290 - all S Models.

For road only use the S makes more sense, better wheel / tyre sizes and wider choice of tyres - nobody makes sports-touring tyres for 21" skinny rims.

If your coming off a fast sportsbike consider an 1190 - the engine is fantastic, one of the best engines I have ever sampled, the 1290 has more bottom end (sub 3-4k) but after that not much in it and the 1190 has loads of character.

The 1090 engine is way down on thrust, more so than specs imply, it matches the 1190 up to about 4k, then just as the 1190 is really taking off at 5k the 1090 has a small flat spot, giving it a peaky feel and needing a lot more cog swapping - all relative of course and if your coming from a 600cc four it will feel pretty grunty.

I had a 1090 alongside the 1190 and used it for commuting and the Mrs would borrow it for touring, preferring her TDM for local runs, I never took the 1090 out for fun with the 1190 sat there.

When I got the 1290 I sold the 1090 and would tend to take the 1190 for fun locally and the 1290 for touring, the choice of if we sold the 1090 / 1190 came down to which one the Mrs would prefer to tour on - it took her about 100 metres of riding the 1190 to make up her mid, just the first time she felt that engine do its thing. Once on tour she loved it as it made overtake so much easier for her (no need to even think about what gear you need, just open the throttle)

Don't want this to sound like a 1090 bashing, new they were cheap, and (IMHO) a much better choice than a V-Strom or that ugly Honda, and they make 30BHP more than an Africa Twin, I would alos add it handled amazingly. much better front end damping than the 1190 and I think every bit as good as the Semi-Active forks on my 1290, I still think it is the sweetest handling of the 1x90 series, partly down to great stock suspension setup, maybe also down to narrower tyres (compared to 1190 / 1290) possibly also due to containing less power - either way it was so confidence inspiring.

Build quality is good on all of them, the only exception is the 1290 plastics feel much lower quality, the rest of the cycle parts are almost identical and they are all well put together.

So, pick a 1x90 you like the look and price of and you won't regret it, just think about if you really want the R model, if your going to be on bumpy, narrow back lanes most the time it might be a great choice, less so if you want to ride faster / smoother roads or try keeping up with your mates sportsbikes in the twisties (heck, get an 1190 / 1290 and keep up with them on the straights!)

I would also say the 1190 is probably better 2-up with the smoother delivery and fatter mid-range, and the 1290 better still as the SA suspension does not pitch very much, the 1190 front end dives like an Italian Footballer - but rides bumps very well.

·
Premium Member
9,888 Posts
I have owned a 1090 / 1190 / 1290 - all S Models.

For road only use the S makes more sense, better wheel / tyre sizes and wider choice of tyres - nobody makes sports-touring tyres for 21" skinny rims.

If your coming off a fast sportsbike consider an 1190 - the engine is fantastic, one of the best engines I have ever sampled, the 1290 has more bottom end (sub 3-4k) but after that not much in it and the 1190 has loads of character.

The 1090 engine is way down on thrust, more so than specs imply, it matches the 1190 up to about 4k, then just as the 1190 is really taking off at 5k the 1090 has a small flat spot, giving it a peaky feel and needing a lot more cog swapping - all relative of course and if your coming from a 600cc four it will feel pretty grunty.

I had a 1090 alongside the 1190 and used it for commuting and the Mrs would borrow it for touring, preferring her TDM for local runs, I never took the 1090 out for fun with the 1190 sat there.

When I got the 1290 I sold the 1090 and would tend to take the 1190 for fun locally and the 1290 for touring, the choice of if we sold the 1090 / 1190 came down to which one the Mrs would prefer to tour on - it took her about 100 metres of riding the 1190 to make up her mid, just the first time she felt that engine do its thing. Once on tour she loved it as it made overtake so much easier for her (no need to even think about what gear you need, just open the throttle)

Don't want this to sound like a 1090 bashing, new they were cheap, and (IMHO) a much better choice than a V-Strom or that ugly Honda, and they make 30BHP more than an Africa Twin, I would alos add it handled amazingly. much better front end damping than the 1190 and I think every bit as good as the Semi-Active forks on my 1290, I still think it is the sweetest handling of the 1x90 series, partly down to great stock suspension setup, maybe also down to narrower tyres (compared to 1190 / 1290) possibly also due to containing less power - either way it was so confidence inspiring.

Build quality is good on all of them, the only exception is the 1290 plastics feel much lower quality, the rest of the cycle parts are almost identical and they are all well put together.

So, pick a 1x90 you like the look and price of and you won't regret it, just think about if you really want the R model, if your going to be on bumpy, narrow back lanes most the time it might be a great choice, less so if you want to ride faster / smoother roads or try keeping up with your mates sportsbikes in the twisties (heck, get an 1190 / 1290 and keep up with them on the straights!)

I would also say the 1190 is probably better 2-up with the smoother delivery and fatter mid-range, and the 1290 better still as the SA suspension does not pitch very much, the 1190 front end dives like an Italian Footballer - but rides bumps very well.
IMO, the Bridgestone A41 is a very good tyre choice for the 21/18 wheelset. Versatile.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts