KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm new to the forum, but joined because a couple of weeks ago I bought an 1190 Adventure and I want to share my experiences so far. In summary, the bike is unspeakably beautiful and everything I dreamed of, plus some.
KTM UK management have been excellent and gone totally out of their way to help with the parts, the dealer I had the misfortune to buy off has been an absolute nightmare, words cannot explain! But the reason for this post is to ask if anybody has experienced the same problem that immobilised my bike this weekend.
I left the bike in the garage for 2 weeks without starting and unfortunately the battery went flat, so I bought an Oxford Optimiser 900 which has done a great job of charging and maintaining the battery since. So this weekend preparing for a ride, first time since the battery went flat, I started my 1190 and noticed the ABS and TC warning lights stayed on. I wanted to pull out of the garage to have an inspection in the daylight and with the clutch in, I tried to go into 1st and the electrics and engine die. Restarted, warning lights came on, tried first, died again. The clutch was kept in all the time, so it's not a stall.
I called the dealer, tried to explain, they said company policy states they don't answer any technical questions on the phone, I said 'I've paid you over £15k, had the bike 3 weeks, done 21 miles and want some help' so he stated again company policy states they don't answer technical questions and he passed me to someone in service who said' bring your bike in, leave it with us 3 or 4 days and we will run some tests'
So has anybody experienced similar electrical problems? I guess something has upset the ECU and it may need to be reset, but if a flat battery necessitates a dealer workshop reset, it's a worrying prospect if I'm not in Europe! Thanks, Brian

·
Registered
23 Posts
Doesn't sound good and is disappointing to hear. There must be a problem with your bike that is uncommon?

I agree with Keef, name the dealer and let the people decide!

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Come on name that dealer, it's what they deserve.

I would imagine it's a similar thing to BMW's, a big voltage drop causes a fault in the ABS and the light comes on, in your case a flat battery. I also suspect that because it has caused an ABS and TC fault the ECU wont let you ride it until they are cleared, Computer says No.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts