KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, is there a big difference between 1190 and the 1190r for road riding? sorry i ask such shit questions, cant test ride one for a few weeks
and im an inpatient cow (y) thanks

·
Registered
215 Posts
Don't know about the 1190 but test rode the 1290s and have bought the R, There is a bit of difference in height but not as much as expected. I'm 6'0'' with a 33'' inside leg and could flat foot the S but am on the balls of my feet with the R. I think you really need to test ride it to make sure.

·
Registered
3,485 Posts
I think more off road suspension, spoked wheels, bold grafix lol, I ride a 1290s, tbh I was not blown away by it. ,I thought the suspension clattered over everything unless set to enduro mode, I was looking for an adv bike, I ended up on a 2007 R1200GS., as a tourer it's way more comfortable.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
The first thing you notice is the extra height, so if you're a bit short (i.e. under 6'0) the S will be easier to reach the ground on, My Mrs rode an 1190S OK, but would of struggled on an R (She is 6'0)

Next up is the slower turning with the 21" front wheel, in theory it will also have less grip on the skinny front - and less sporty tyre options, most probably cannot exceed the limits of them anyway, but i prefer the 19" of the S as I never ride off road on large bikes and believe you can never have too much front grip!

The S Models (mostly) comes with electronic suspension adjustment which is handy, but the R has higher spec and more infinately adjustable suspension, so if you think you are a suspension setup guru you might prefer having the R twidlers to mess about with.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well I ridden the 1190R and everbody is correct , its really bloody tall , no problems really how it rode but i would not ever want to ride off road !! i will keep the 1190 i have....tpi for off road :D im ff to spain later this year thought maybe i could see the off road trails ......or will i venture off on the 1190so_O

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
The 790 looks just the job for gravel roads and that sort of thing, but having a bike for every whim I have gets expensive, just got back down to three and planning on selling another....

...which will give me plenty of space, but unfortunately nowhere near 790 money, but also toying with the idea of keeping an eye out for a tidy low mileage 990 SMT to play with.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ginger, this is my problem! i just seem to like buying bikes i dont bloody really need, i did have a go a a 790ADV back last year i wasn't really a fan to be honest riding position felt odd just didnt like it...but i reckon off road for melow riding it would be the kiddy but i will not buy one, ;premier have 790r all blinged up with luggage the lot at the moment if you fancy trying to get a deal..they have that many 790s in stock they will have to discount it at some point

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
also toying with the idea of keeping an eye out for a tidy low mileage 990 SMT to play with.
lol - I keep thinking about that, or maybe a 990 SMR.
Problem is it'd be too similar to my 990 SD, and also I might be tempted the scavenge the good bits off my SD to put on the newer bike. I think my plan would be to own both bikes for a year and then pick which one gets sold the following year... which if I'm truly honest with myself means neither would get sold as selling privately can be a PITA, but having extra bikes to choose from is great. Plus you always need a spare bike if you have a KTM (or two). :sneaky:

It's the annual MOT & servicing grind that pisses me off tbh..

·
Registered
517 Posts
also toying with the idea of keeping an eye out for a tidy low mileage 990 SMT to play with.
DO IT!!
from all the other Ducati's I've had the only one that was on par with the SMT was the 1000DS multistrada. for me it was very well worth the switch to KTM twin.

·
Registered
635 Posts
The S is okay offroad (as okay as such a massive bike can be). Mine spends most of its time as far from asphalt as possible and I've not got completely stuck yet. Just put some aggressive rubber on it. And on-road it's very nice indeed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts