KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hoping to pick up a 2004 exc 200cc KTM at the end of the month. The seller seems to be a genuinely great guy. He is looking for £1950 for the bike with 12 months MOT. The bike looks to be well maintained and high end oils have been used.

What is the going rate for a ecx 200cc 2004? Will I be paying over the odds at £1950?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,061 Posts
The first thing to do would be to find out what the parts availability is like on a bike of this age.

Dependant on hours and condition, the bike will need engine and suspension work as a matter of course so you dont want that complicated by hard to source parts.

Plastics may be getting hard to source as well.

I would say that you might need to consider renewal of chassis bearings as well - again, its all dependant on its overall condition, hours and how previoys owners have maintained the bike.

If it ends up needing a load of work, then that additional cash could have gone towards a newer bike.

Realise that dirtbike years are like dog years - most exc's get used as intended and this does dictate that they need constant work.

Not meaning to piss on your chips, but please be realistic about what to expect from a bike of this age.

·
Registered
8,456 Posts
I had a 2004 200 EXC, swapped my drowned and repaired XR600 for it. Not the gay autolube version but the real EXC deal. After taking all the above points on board (do the checks!), it was a ripper of a bike. 125 chassis, OC forks (will need setting up) and stonking angry 200. Later years got much calmer. In 2004 they revved like a 125 but had 200 power. Bloody awesome. Excellent build quality. Mega tough. Nimble and super fast.

Back then there was no internet so it was all a black art in setting one up. Now you have shed loads of internet knowledge to help tune and dial it in. It might even be a 38mm Keihin on them. I can’t remember. My forks were like girders so I followed jerrypc69’s advice (he was a youngish man back then) and jiggled/removed shims. They were much better after.

That bike is still alive in Somerset but in a pile of parts.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
I’ve owner my 02 200 EXC for just over 10yrs...don’t think I’ll sell it now... it’s 18yrs old and like Pindie says, revs like a 125 with the poke of a 200, almost kinda V-Tech feel to the power valve... it’s nuts and will never not make you grin like a loon.

Parts wise... I think up to 06 are interchangeable... could be wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm hoping to pick up a 2004 exc 200cc KTM at the end of the month. The seller seems to be a genuinely great guy. He is looking for £1950 for the bike with 12 months MOT. The bike looks to be well maintained and high end oils have been used.

What is the going rate for a ecx 200cc 2004? Will I be paying over the odds at £1950?
I payed £2895 for my 2010 200 Exc but mine has over 1500 pounds worth of upgrades , I think u could get it for 1800 would free some cash up for any bearings etc

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Looking at the pictures the spokes are rusty engine cases are tatty and it looks well used .. pictures always make a bike look better..as people have pointed out this is a race bike so will probably have had a hard life.. don't be swayed by shiney plastics and new stickers..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts