KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow riders,

I have been a proud owner of my first bike KTM 200 (2013) for past 3 months.
I use it mostly for commuting to work. Today, coming back home I have discovered that I am having a problem with a lower gear shifting. If I wait at the traffic light, I try to put the gear on a neutral to ease my hands. But almost always, I am unable to get the neutral gear. I know I should give a small push up but I usually end up with a 2nd gear. This was a frequent problem so far. For past few days however I managed to get it right, until today. I came to a stop and downshifted to gear 1, then while waiting for the light to turn green, I was attempting to put a neutral gear but I felt a great resistance that did not allow me to shift to any gear. So i had to hold the clutch while waiting for the light. As the bike was going, the change was better but still felt as there was some resistance. There was another biker that I kindly asked for help and he said to try rev the throttle a little bit when I change the gear. I tried that and it seemed to help a little bit but I am still getting the problem of not being able to change from gear one to neutral or 2nd gear when the bike stops.
If any of you have any tips or experience with this I would really appreciate your help.
I am still new to all this but would not lubricating a chain have anything to do with it.....?

Super thank you in advance
Ula

·
Registered
57 Posts
They can be tricky to find neutral when hot, how fresh is your gearbox oil? first place to start is to put new oil in, I'd run motorex 10/50 four stroke oil.

Also, if your clutch isn't fully disengaging this could cause it to be tricky as there's pressure going through the gearbox, is the basket 'toothed' from where the pressure plates hit the basket, also worth a look,

Let us know,

·
Premium Member
31,489 Posts
Is the clutch cable adjusted correctly? Not too much play?

Either
Select neutral as the bike is rolling to a stop.
Or
Stop the engine, rock the bike a little as you select neutral.

Or change the engine oil, see if that improves it.

If it gets worse it could be a warped plain plate in the clutch.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts