KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any way of lowering the bike without buy loads of stuff for the suspension? I've have the lowered seat and I'm on tip toes. Need a couple inches...🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
270 Posts
The Zeta lowering kits aren't that expensive. Or you could just lower the rear and drop the forks in the clamps

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
I made my own spacer for the rear shock which is similar to the Zeta spacer, it is easy to fit and works well, you need a tool in order to fit the spacer, I also made the tool. Where abouts are you based?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I made my own spacer for the rear shock which is similar to the Zeta spacer, it is easy to fit and works well, you need a tool in order to fit the spacer, I also made the tool. Where abouts are you based?
Plympton, plymouth

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wont lowering on the forks and rear spring upset the ride and balance

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Wont lowering on the forks and rear spring upset the ride and balance
The shock insert basically does not allow the shock to full extend, when it is extended it is about 10mm shorter than standard, this equates to the seat being about 30mm lower (3:1 ratio). You then adjust the shock spring to give you the same sag that you had before you did the mod. The downside is that you now have 30mm less travel for you rear suspension but at least you can reach the floor! At the front you just push the forks through the yokes to lower the front. I found that I did not need to lower the front much, I liked the front end being quite high because it helps me pick up the front wheel over ruts and stuff.

If you do decide to buy a spacer you can borrow the tool if you want to. (I'm based near Reading).

Check out the vid below, it shows a spacer (not a Zeta one) and it shows the tool that you need...

·
Registered
270 Posts
The shock insert basically does not allow the shock to full extend, when it is extended it is about 10mm shorter than standard, this equates to the seat being about 30mm lower (3:1 ratio). You then adjust the shock spring to give you the same sag that you had before you did the mod. The downside is that you now have 30mm less travel for you rear suspension but at least you can reach the floor! At the front you just push the forks through the yokes to lower the front. I found that I did not need to lower the front much, I liked the front end being quite high because it helps me pick up the front wheel over ruts and stuff.

If you do decide to buy a spacer you can borrow the tool if you want to. (I'm based near Reading).

Check out the vid below, it shows a spacer (not a Zeta one) and it shows the tool that you need...

I made the tool up as well from this site you suggested to me but I did lower the front as well and I find as you said it's harder to lift the front over logs etc. Did you raise your bars as well to get the forks to drop though further ? How far did u get before they strike to bars ?

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
I made the tool up as well from this site you suggested to me but I did lower the front as well and I find as you said it's harder to lift the front over logs etc. Did you raise your bars as well to get the forks to drop though further ? How far did u get before they strike to bars ?
I made some blocks out of aluminium in order to raise the bars which allowed me to push the forks through yokes about 30mm, I thought that this would keep the front to rear 'balance' as KTM had designed the bike (2013 300). I found that the front then felt heavy and the rear would spin up rather than the front wheel lifting. I had a think about this and I reckon that lowering both ends of the bike will shorten the wheelbase by a couple of mm but it lowers the C of G by 30mm, this makes the bike long and low which makes it a bit more like a drag bike and that is why the front felt heavy. I decided to push the forks back through the yokes so there is only about 5mm poking out above the top yoke, I know that this will slow the steering down a bit but I am not good enough to notice such things! Lifting the front back up must have raised the seat a bit but I have also cut the seat foam so its still OK for me.

·
Registered
8,263 Posts
Don’t overlook practicing slow riding! Practice balance....even off the bike to help improve confidence. Force yourself to keep feet on pegs, use throttle and clutch to keep the bike upright and tracking straight. Always try to give a pop of throttle if you are tempted to dab, it can be surprising how this can help. If you are actually crashing it can help save them to. It’s cheaper than lowering.

There’s been plenty of short world class riders.

·
Registered
200 Posts
On my old EXC I put the softer spring on the rear PDS shock. (Technically too soft for my weight as per the manual) I also squished the spring a little more than my ideal sag. Got the foam cut down on the seat and pushed the front forks through the yokes a little bit. That little bit extra leg reach helped with my control and confidence.

I figured the rear spring would compress under my body weight moreso than the standard spring, helping reach the floor.

I’m not a pro rider but I felt the rides were better after doing these changes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts