KTM Owners Forum banner
81 - 100 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
30 Years spending most of my spare cash / time with road bikes, touring, track days etc.

Was flogging a road bike and the guy wanting to buy it said he just needed to flog his DRZ400S - so I took it in part ex and started green laning. Not looking to be the next Romaniacs winner, or even race for that matter, but like having the odd day out on dirt and a bike that I can get a lot of fun from in Winter.
Ah nice. I'd like to do some greenlaning, need to look into it around my way. Have you ever had trouble with the odd snotty dog walker etc?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
Get yourself an optimate battery charger, comes with plug which can be connected to the battery. Also I’ve not needed one yet but if your really concerned about getting stranded I’ve seen people carry a jump battery about the size and weight of a mobile phone.

the people you’ve witnessed stuck with a dead battery may not have had the idle set correctly and may not have had decent clutch control leading to a lot of cough stalls leading to a high number of engine restarts.

mine when i bought it recently (its a 2014 350) wasn’t the best to start, took a few turns off the motor before bursting into life, did all the valve gaps, spark plug etc but it was the fuel filter on the pump which needed replacement. Basically if it’s maintained properly it shouldn’t be a problem.
I have actually come across one of those jump batteries. They're £200 though and I think I may as well spend some of that on a new lithium battery

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
Yes, maintain the bike and it will be your friend, neglect even the basics and you will know about it.

IMO, aside from using decent oil and changing often, air filter prep is important. Clean after every ride, clean airbox interior as well, oil filter with putoline action fluid, not the crappy spray on, and grease the mating surface. I use petrol to get worst of dirt off, then was out in a bucket of soapy water, then rinse from inside out, dry and re oil for later use. I have a few in the go so there is always a clean one (oh, wash the bike with old filter still on, but with a plastic bag over it). I have been cleaning filters with petrol for 20 years and not had a problem ...........
Brilliant, thanks for the advice. This one will be very well looked after. Regarding oil, is it Motorex that Ktm recommends?

·
Premium Member
10,790 Posts
Yes. I use the 2t motorex oil in the tpi because l have paranoia about the oil pump, but the 2t gearbox and the 4t get any 10w 50 that has the right MA spec (but l avoid cheap oils that are not on the MA list and ipone - the latter because l found gearchange was clunky with it).

As for dog walkers etc, some are ok, others are not. Just be sensible and dont spook horses.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
So, I'm driving up to Wales to collect the bike tomorrow morning. What things should I be looking out for whilst giving the bike an inspection? Any funny noises I should be listening out for and what's the general things that one would check when buying a bike?

·
Premium Member
10,790 Posts
Tell him that you want to start it FROM COLD. Start from cold, should start easily and tickover with no throttle. It will sound a bit percussive, but shouldnt be bad / mad worse by reving it. Get on bike, hold front brake, engage gear and try and pull away with front brake on - should stall, not clutch slip. Get it on a stand and check you can get all the gears ok. Check air filter - if it and inside of intake is dirty, walk away. If all good so far, check headstock bearings, pds, swingarm and wheel bearings. Check chain and sprockets, check discs and pads. Check general condition - does it look cared for or abused. Check all the fixings for hamfisted spannering. Is the owners bike shed and workbench etc all neat tidy and ordered, does owner look like a complete mechanical mong? If all that pans out, and the numbers tally on the logbook get the bike, but tell him if its a shitter that you will come back and torch his house. Ok, l didnt mean the last bit. Good luck 👍🏻

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Tell him that you want to start it FROM COLD. Start from cold, should start easily and tickover with no throttle. It will sound a bit percussive, but shouldnt be bad / mad worse by reving it. Get on bike, hold front brake, engage gear and try and pull away with ftont brake on - should stall, not clutch slip. Get it on a stand and check you can get all the gears ok. Check air filter - if it and inside of intake is dirty, walk away. If all good so far, check headstock bearings, pds, swibgarm and wheel bearings. Check chain and sprockets, check discs and pads. Check general condition - does it look cared for ir abused. Check all the fixings for hamfisted spannering. Is the owners bike shed and workbench etc all neat tidy and ordered, does owner look like a complete mechanical mong? If all that pans out, and the numbers tally on the logbookget the bike, but tell him if its a shitter that you will come back and torch his house. Ok, l didnt mean the last bit. Good luck 👍🏻
You never buy a bike off me mate...

• Haha
Reactions: Ship

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Nice bike mate, the KTM 4strokes from 2020 MY onwards are spot on, best toys in the world...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 ·
She's home. Took her out for a ride and I'm really pleased with it 😊

Life with a stand is glorious as well, suspension feels much better, electric start, again is glorious and the set up of the bike makes my style of riding so much easier.

Such smooth delivery and the extra power is fantastic. Can't wait for the next enduro to test her out properly.

Oh, and not having to mix fuel is the cherry on top with all that extra tank space as well.

Can anybody give me a rough idea on what they're paying to insure one of these and road tax? I will get a quote but I'm shattered from a 7 hour journey and 2 hours of riding, so a bit of shit TV and bed is on the cards.

Wheel Plant Tire Vehicle Window

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
She's home. Took her out for a ride and I'm really pleased with it 😊

Life with a stand is glorious as well, suspension feels much better, electric start, again is glorious and the set up of the bike makes my style of riding so much easier.

Such smooth delivery and the extra power is fantastic. Can't wait for the next enduro to test her out properly.

Oh, and not having to mix fuel is the cherry on top with all that extra tank space as well.

Can anybody give me a rough idea on what they're paying to insure one of these and road tax? I will get a quote but I'm shattered from a 7 hour journey and 2 hours of riding, so a bit of shit TV and bed is on the cards.

View attachment 47811
It's amazing how shit TV helps you recover faster...

81 - 100 of 106 Posts