KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, got my bike out last week after it had been standing for three weeks. it started like it had been running two minutes before. later in the day it started playing up (nothing happening when you press the start button) and then it totally gave up starting altogether. it runs perfect when you bump it so no issue there. all I'm getting is a click when i press the starter button. i don't think its the battery because as i said it started after three weeks no prob. I've also bought a new starter relay for it and it made no difference. I've checked the fuses on the starter relay too they are fine. any suggestions would be much appreciated!
thanks

·
Registered
462 Posts
Battery. Mine did it a few weeks ago, started it on the button done a few laps. Tried to start it again nothing! Try jump starting it

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi, got my bike out last week after it had been standing for three weeks. it started like it had been running two minutes before. later in the day it started playing up (nothing happening when you press the start button) and then it totally gave up starting altogether. it runs perfect when you bump it so no issue there. all I'm getting is a click when i press the starter button. i don't think its the battery because as i said it started after three weeks no prob. I've also bought a new starter relay for it and it made no difference. I've checked the fuses on the starter relay too they are fine. any suggestions would be much appreciated!
thanks
Sounds like the battery to me, if you have some jump leads hook them up to the car battery see if starts, saves buying a new battery to test with, also if you get a new one go lithium, I got one and the cranking power is so much better and they weigh nothing, win win, £40 well spent

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
We had a similar problem with ours and found the fuse in the block in the airbox had corroded. Used the spare fuse and it was fine after that. The lid is a poor fit and allows water in. Just another thing to check. Bob.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the reply guys! i hope it is that ill try it with jump leads tomorrow. yeah it runs perfectly if you bump it. no good like that though. its just that it started no problem in the morning so i didn't think it would be the battery. if not its getting stripped tomorrow and everything cleaned/checked. ill come back with the results. cheers guys!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We had a similar problem with ours and found the fuse in the block in the airbox had corroded. Used the spare fuse and it was fine after that. The lid is a poor fit and allows water in. Just another thing to check. Bob.
yes thats the starter relay, 2 fuses in it yeah? i bought a new one of them, made sod all difference 40 quids worth of nothing haha

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Yes that's it. That's the only problem we ever had with ours electrically. Sorry I can't suggest anything else. Bob.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hi guys. turns out it was a corroded earth cable. once cleaned the bike fired up like it had been running all day! as i had it in my head that this would cost a fortune i treaded it to a set of flo orange plastics and lucas oil graphics instead!

thanks everyone

1 - 8 of 8 Posts