KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I’ve recently purchased a KTM 450 SMR and want to get it road legal, daytime mot etc. Had to buy a new battery, so I was advised to a stronger version. I fitted the new battery and had a quick blast around the block, all good and ran ok. Bike wouldn’t start today and had to recharge the battery, fired up ok and had another short ride. I’ve checked all wiring connections and leads, all looks ok. Can anyone give me a few tips or ideas, why this is happening

·
Registered
637 Posts
I would guess, either dud battery or something is draining the battery, when bike not in use.

Take battery off, charge, leave for a couple of days and see if the Volts drop drastically = dud battery (should maintain 12+ Volts)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,
New battery fitted and bike started ok, the following day it wouldn’t start and drained the battery flat. Will try starting it again today, see what happens. As its a race bike, there’s no lights or indicators fitted. It has a quick shifter fitted, so I might disconnect this to see if that’s draining the battery

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Sounds like a parasitic drain. Videos on utube on tracking it down, as long as you have a multimeter. If not, they're about 8 quid from Halfords.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Same thing happened me , I spent two days searching for a parasitic drain after buying a new battery. It turns out the new battery was a dud! Check the battery!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Same thing happened me , I spent two days searching for a parasitic drain after buying a new battery. It turns out the new battery was a dud! Check the battery!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fitted a new battery and it’s starts ok, just need to get it road legal and then the fun begins

1 - 6 of 6 Posts