KTM Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, i planning to change my piston on my KTM EXC 450 2013 SIXDAYS. And mechanic suggested ATHENA(brand) piston, gaskets, engine chain. Which brand do you suggest? Is ATHENA brand good? What's your opinion?

Attachments

·
Registered
797 Posts
Mahle was (I think) the OE manufacturer.

Back in the bad old days of the Communist block, the MZ roadracing team (at the time leading the world in 2-stroke engine development) used to smuggle in Mahle pistons for use in its 'works' engines from West Germany. That's how good they are!

If you can get a copy of Stealing Speed by Mat Oxley it tells the story of how 2-stroke technology got smuggled out of East Germany to Japan, including boost ports and expansion chambers (the latter being based on the V1 flying bomb pulse jet). You could make a thrilling TV series out of it...in fact I'm surprised no one has. Barry Sheene's works Suzuki 500 engines were actually 4 MZ 125 cylinders as far as geometry, porting etc goes!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Get vertex.
I got a list of piston's and repair ammount from mechanic's. The job of repair cost arround 200-220€.They suggested me to change piston ,,ATHENA'' brand 145€, engine chain ,,ATHENA'' and gaskets also ,,ATHENA''. I asked what prices of others pistons brand. ,,VERTEX"- 172€, ,,WOSNER"-242€, ,,WISECO"-190€. I guess i will pick ,,VERTEX"

1 - 4 of 4 Posts