KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Just joined, bring on the pi** takes :D

Being serious for a mo', my 525 is getting right on my t*ts. Out of the blue, the headlight appeared to blow last week. All that works is the little parking light.

I also have no horn.

I have done the following:

- Replaced left-hand switch completely (kill switch, horn..) - no joy
- Battery is fully charged and is a relatively new battery
- Its starting up fine
- Cleaned all contacts
- Changed all fuses
- Checked all connections
- Replaced the bulb with 2 different brand new bulbs

I'm at a loss, is there anything else I can check?

Cheers......

·
Registered
431 Posts
Have you checked the fuse located on the starter relay on the side of the battery box which is inside your air cleaner housing (remove seat and left hand air box cover) 10 amp auto fuse

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi mate,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes done that, checked and replaced all fuses including the spare (including the 5A fan one).

Earlier tonight, also disconnected the horn in case that was shorting it. Still no headlight :-(

·
Registered
431 Posts
with the engine running have you checked the headlamp bulb connector for a 12v supply....brown to green and brown to blue? If nothing there check at the bar switch

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
with the engine running have you checked the headlamp bulb connector for a 12v supply....brown to green and brown to blue? If nothing there check at the bar switch
Good shout, a mate is loaning me a multimeter, that will be my next check. Thanks!

·
Registered
431 Posts
I would also suggest very carefully inspecting the 6 pin connector plug from the switch as this is where wires in common to both the headlamp and horn are connected.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would also suggest very carefully inspecting the 6 pin connector plug from the switch as this is where wires in common to both the headlamp and horn are connected.
Will do - the switch itself (left side, blue horn button, red kill, and the on/off/full beam rocker) was replaced last night for a brand new one, this did not get rid of the problem. So that's two switches having the same issue.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Check the wiring connector to the switch,both sides very carefully, make sure all the individual wires on both side of the connector make a positive connection and are not pushed back when the connector is snapped closed.
Speak tomorrow hopefully.......g'nite

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK, I went a bit further today.

I can confirm the bulb and whole lighting unit are working perfectly. I used a spare battery and rigged up power to it and both the parking light and main bulb work perfectly.

So, I then checked the bike wiring for juice reaching the connectors - no problems there either.

What I could really do with is someone posting a photo of the wiring loom, but at the connector points on the mounting plate (behind the front mask). I am concerned about the red/yellow wires and really need to confirm where they go.

I.e. just one goes into the ignition e/start button connector? What about the connector from the kill switch / horn / lights controller - what does yours have?

Can someone list the full set of coloured wires that reach what connectors?

I'd really appreciate it! This is driving me f*cking nuts :-(

·
Premium Member
31,489 Posts
The headlight should not work from the battery, someone has been messing about with the wiring.

Standard 525EXC should have 12v AC on the yellow wire, this powers the lights and brake light.

12v DC on the yellow/red striped wire, this is fed from the battery, via the fuse, to horn, indicators, fan, electric start.

The horn is powered all the time, it only makes a sound when the red wire is put to earth (brown wire)

PM me an email address and I will send you a wiring diagram.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Kev.

Do you have a photo of your connections "behind the mask", so I can confirm everything is right?

(When I said I powered the light today, it was with it detached from the bike, using an old battery, to ensure the light unit / bulb etc. was not defective) - everything worked "away from the bike".

·
Registered
431 Posts
Hi matey,
I have a colour wiring diagram here for you to look at, its pretty straight forward to follow. If you look at your loom behind the headlamp you should be able to locate the wires and connectors you are concerned about on the diagram and follow them to their source and end points. Send me your email address and I'll post it over to you. Gary

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cheers mate - will PM you now! :)

Hi matey,
I have a colour wiring diagram here for you to look at, its pretty straight forward to follow. If you look at your loom behind the headlamp you should be able to locate the wires and connectors you are concerned about on the diagram and follow them to their source and end points. Send me your email address and I'll post it over to you. Gary

·
Registered
431 Posts
I'll let Kev sort you.....He knows his stuff !

·
Premium Member
31,489 Posts
Its impossible to put the plugs in wrong.

Does your horn work when you put it across a battery?
Does it work on the bike using the horn button?
Does it work on the bike if you short the red wire on the back of the horn to a bolt on the engine?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi Kev,

> Does it work on the bike using the horn button?

No - nothing at all - even with new combination switch - thought it might have been that but it isnt.

> Does it work on the bike if you short the red wire on the back of the horn to a bolt on the engine?

Not tried that - will try that tomorrow.

> Does your horn work when you put it across a battery?

Not tried that yet - will have a go tomorrow - concentrated on the headlight today.

Cheers

Its impossible to put the plugs in wrong.
Does it work on the bike using the horn button?
Does your horn work when you put it across a battery?
Does it work on the bike if you short the red wire on the back of the horn to a bolt on the engine?

·
Premium Member
31,489 Posts
Once you have tested the horn, next disconnect the regulator and the yellow spade connector where the harness joins into the engine above the head.

Then connect the yellow male spade on the harness to the battery + terminal. The lights should now work off the battery. You should see 12v DC on any yellow wire like the one behind the headlight, the one feeding the brake switch....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts