KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there I'm new to this forum and not 100% sure how it all works.

I've recently purchased a 1990 ktm 600 lc4 which to my knowledge seems to be quite rare as finding info is really difficult.
I purchased the bike as a none runner and after a little bit tinkering I managed to get it to run. The bike runs lovely with no noises or smoke.
The problem I'm having is finding how to wire the lights as it is road registered and need a full mot for work. The bike has two tympanium corp regulators which each have one brown and one yellow wire. The wiring colours from the stator are yellow, brown and white. I don't want to plug the boxes in by guessing and cause more harm than good. Would somebody please be able to help as this is the last thing left to do for the mot.

Many thanks in advance brad

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
without stating the obvious but have you tried a google search as there are plenty of wiring diagrams readily available
I have looked all over google and managed to find the resistance readings for the stator. I have metered it all through and found to all be ok. I have checked for the wires earthing out as the information says and that's all ok. The wiring leading to the regulators also has continuity. I'm managing to get 1.6 to 2.3 volts ac out of the lighting circuit. But if the resistances are all ok and the wires aren't broken/earthing what else could it be ?

·
Registered
209 Posts
keeping it simple, if the bike is now running smoothly then you should be getting 12 to 14 volts at the battery due to charging rates this then confirms the charging and regulator system is fine.

If still no lights then check the light switch back through the ignition switch to its 12v supply. Once found then diagnose this wiring for poor cable or connect to a more reliable switched 12v supply, if running direct from the battery drop a fuse in the supply line.

·
Premium Member
31,537 Posts
Those square regulators are brown to the frame and yellow to the wire. They are ac regulators.

KTM standard earth/ground colour is brown. So put a ring terminal on that brown wire and connect it to a good clean earth.

Lighting feed colour is yellow.

Charging coil colour is white.

So I would connect one regulator yellow to the yellow wire out the staor, also connect this to the feed to the light switch.

This will get the lights working. Brake light too. If you use an ac horn you can wire that to the yellow as well, the horn button switches the other horn connection to earth.

The white wire can be connected to the yellow of the other regulator, then through a diode (2 wire rectifier) to charge the battery.

You dont need indicators if you dont have rear footpags by the way :)

Reactions: paolo

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the information, I think I may have sorted the problem now just waiting to return to work to try it out.
After further investigation somebody has rebonded the flywheel magnets. I've checks with another magnet and have found them to be in the wrong order.

I've managed to rebond them using a recommended glue in the order of north south north south etc etc.

Thanks for all the help and I will update how things go Monday evening

1 - 6 of 6 Posts