KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, was riding my ktm the other day and the display started cutting out then coming back each time losing the display of my mph then coming back. Now when i turn the key in the ignition the display wont even come on and i obviously cant start it electrically. I havent tried kick starting it yet, was wondering if people can tell me whats going on...

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
Don't confuse your batteries - there is the main (big) bike battery - plus a small (tiny) display battery inside the speedo assembly.

·
Registered
27 Posts
and I think you will find that it doesn't offer quite the same performance as the OEM spec Yuasa. See Batteryman's postings.
You`re absolutely right chap, I`ve just checked mine and it is only 150. I feel like I`ve been stitched right up!! More than a bit naughty by the battery supplier if it is that different cos I took the old one in as pattern.

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
.............. and I take zero pleasure in pointing that out - because it seems a rather common 'mistake' by some suppliers.

So to all our readers who are asleep at the back of the class - "Wake up and pay attention"! ........ just occassionally you can learn something useful on this site .......... but most of my posts are either the result of pure fantasy or I heard it down the pub.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know it's an old thread, but I had exactly the same issue on my 2006 KTM 640 supermoto and found this thread whilst searching for the answer.

New battery (Yuasa YTZ10S, 48 hour charge before fitting) made no difference. Whilst trying to find the cause I had the ignition on (but no display showing) and as it was intermittent wondered if I had a fuse that had fractured and was making an intermittent contact. Pulled all the fuses and reinserted and got the display back! Subsequently cleaned the fuse holders with contact cleaner then put some Joker 440 in to discourage future corrosion, reassembled and no issues since. Might be worth a try before the new battery if anyone else has the same problem.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
People are getting confused about batteries and speedometers. The late (05/06) 625's and 660's had the same speedo as the EXC's 05 onwards that take a flat battery (CR2430). The late 640's have the same speedo as the 950 and early 990 that don't take batteries, prior to that the 640 speedos were some old clockwork piece of shit.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts