KTM Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

221 - 240 of 277 Posts

·
Administrator
9,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #221
BDA, what you think of the rally rade fairing you fitted?
I love it. Quality is very good, the fit and finish is excellent. Well thought out design for accommodating all of the dash lights and stuff. I've not crash tested yet but I doubt it will be long before I do.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I’m putting some enduro tyres on with tubes this week
Have you gone with rim locks on you bikes if not how low pressures can you go before spin problems start
I have locks but they throw the balance out quite a bit
May fit front with a mousse and go steady on tarmac

·
Administrator
9,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #223
I have a rim lock on the rear, no need for one on the front. I haven't noticed any issue with wheel balancing. You need a 2.5" rim lock as the rear is wider than a standard enduro bike. I have been running 14psi front and rear and its been fine although I've only done about 1000 miles off road so far on the lanes.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Did you complain to AS about that?

I have a rack from Rade Garage that I think mounts in the same way but I haven't fitted yet.
I didn’t but I think the issue is there is no fixing at the rear so it just vibrated itself to pieces. I think Nomad(?) do a rack that has a rear bump stop that stops excess vibration.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I’m putting some enduro tyres on with tubes this week
Have you gone with rim locks on you bikes if not how low pressures can you go before spin problems start
I have locks but they throw the balance out quite a bit
May fit front with a mousse and go steady on tarmac
i'm running 18psi front and rear without rim locks with no issues
but i have bought a set to get installed

·
Administrator
9,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #228
Looks ok. With the Rade Garage kit the tower bracket clamps to the headstock but also wraps around to the frame adjacent to the ignition so its always perfectly linked up. Another nice touch with the Rade one is they include the scotts damper mount. This is my next upgrade currently under way.

Reactions: shadude

·
Registered
40 Posts
I think there about 2500 euro that’s what his other kits are.
Kit 690 are doing a rally light option
I’ve used there kit to build other rally bikes and it’s good quality but aimed at more rally than adventure riding .2400 euro
I’ve fitted the nomad kit it’s quite good and I’m adding a few mods to get it as I’d like.
They all seem ok and have bits that can be improved
and riders like there own mods and extras

·
Registered
304 Posts
Cheers, nomad or rade garage seems to be the way to go then as they are around 1000 euro. The others don't seem to be worth twice as much. I've ordered the nomad rear rack and a SC seat from nomad adv. Hopefully I'll get what I ordered this month, ordered begining of October Apparently the rear rack was sent last week.

·
Registered
40 Posts
My experience of nomad is that there very slow with getting stuff delivered,
Also another guy I know had a 8 week wait and they’re slow to reply to emails also.
Maybe we were unlucky.
The product is quite good and you can add your own bits and bobs to suit your needs I’ve built mine so the roadbook tower is quick fit so I can take it off when just using gps.
Also I’m able to leave the tower in place and remove one side plate to access the wiring easily.
And I’m fitting dzus clips to remove the screen instead of all the bolts

Attachments

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Have you lot considered how all this overpriced bling will perform in a proper rally environment? assuming thats what you intend to do with it and it is not just another starbucks special!

I have seen so many of these fancy nav towers/fairings fail when they get used hard off road and when you crash. The best set up I have seen/used are the ones that mount via clamping on to the bars, the clamps can be tightened just enough to stop it moving about but in a crash when the rider wacks his head, neck or chest or even balls on the navigation gear it will move (think crumple zone) seriously could be the differance between life and death.
Makes me cringe some of these nav tower's, screens, fairings, you see with sharp bits sticking up screen edges and even the steel structure, you have some very important bits just the other side of your ribs, worth thinking about.

Also consider there is a lot more chance of crashing because you are spending time looking down at the nav gear trying to check you are going in the right direction instead of looking where you are going, plenty of rally riders have had head on crashes with cars etc on road sections because they are looking at the nav gear, came very close to a head on with a big tractor myself doing just that.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I’ve used both and it doesn’t matter how simple they are if you’re looking down at the roadbook you’re always at risk no matter what set up you have
Completely agree with what the man is saying it’s a risk folks have to consider
I try to check roadbook when I feel safe and slow right down if unsure , it’s no good looking down when going into bad terrain or round blind bends
Choose you navigation reading time carefully you get better with practice.
I usually enter the navigation only class same route but you’re not timed in the special section.
If there’s only race class I just ride normal steady pace and don’t bother about times
I

·
Administrator
9,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #234
I have now fitted a Scott's steering damper to the bike, this is the first one I’ve had on an off-road bike and I’m really impressed with it. I rode today, did about 130 miles across the Essex lanes in very wet and muddy conditions. I was unsure how this would help in these conditions when you read about them they say a lot about rocky terrain and having the steering deflecting of rocks etc. None of that today but loads of slippery mud, ruts, more mud, and general shitty conditions. I found that the bike felt very well planted, very stable and confidence inspiring, when riding rutted lanes the bike seemed to track better in the ruts, not wandering as much as normal. I also found that a few times the front letting go a little bit and the front wanting to tuck but then not tucking and continuing, I can only assume that this was the damper helping the front stay straight.

All round the damper made the bike feel very good although the tyres, (Maxxis IT), were finding their limits toady in the wet conditions. I do like these tyres but they are lacking a bit, there’s not too much bite to them. I have a pair of Michelin Enduros to fit, I’m going to use the front for my Road Book event in 2 weeks time.

The damper can from Rally Raid, part number 031 at £396. You will also need a mount which Rally Rid will supply but with the Rade Garage rally tower kit, they supply one in the kit. The Scotts damper fitted straight on, its a very easy fitting job. The only work needed was with the silver triangular shaped mount, the pin you insert needs to rotate freely but mine was too tight. With a bit of persuasion with the Dremel, I had the pin fitting nicely.

Despite all my love for the tyres and steering damper I managed to crash the bike today on the tarmac turning into a side road. The conditions were pretty crap and the front wheel hit an iron manhole cover and just completely washed out. I was only doing about 20mph. Managed to bend the rear brake lever, mash the handguard and gouge the rear spindle nut. Apart from that a swollen little finger!

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Like I said "Makes me cringe some of these nav tower's, screens, fairings, you see with SHARP BITS STICKING UP screen edges and even the steel structure, you have some very important bits just the other side of your ribs, worth thinking about."

·
Administrator
9,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #237
Like I said "Makes me cringe some of these nav tower's, screens, fairings, you see with SHARP BITS STICKING UP screen edges and even the steel structure, you have some very important bits just the other side of your ribs, worth thinking about."
If they are so bad then why do so many people use them and why are more manufacturers building bikes with towers from the factory?

·
Administrator
9,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #239
They also give you space for a roadbook and GPS and better lights.

221 - 240 of 277 Posts