KTM Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

261 - 277 of 277 Posts

·
Administrator
9,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #261

Reactions: waimando

·
Registered
40 Posts
I’ve used one for a while
The wires are very thin so I resoldered a thicker gauge wires because I’ve got the Baja lights and wasn’t sure about the extra amps going through
Also made them a lot longer

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Guys,

New to Forum. Like the mods so saving the page :)

I am new to KTM, new to taking bike off the tarmac (have CRF 250L that mainly use as commuter but also bit of road).
So far my main bikes are Ducati so am used to niggles and stuff but been trying to research if htere are any major isuses on 690 Enduros that would prevent it from being a 10k miles per annum commuter/off roader?

Was hoping this thread will cover it.

Anything to wathc out for?

I may get 2019 plus bike but there are ok priced 2016 and 2017 models seen so far.

Thx for help

·
Administrator
9,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #270
Hi and welcome.

As far as I have read and researched there are very few issues with the new 2019/20 model. Some have commented about the clutch slave but that's an easy fix with an after market unit. Apart from that I'm not aware of anything else.

Reactions: unicycler

·
Administrator
9,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #271
Last Sunday was an opportunity to ride the 690 on unfamiliar tracks to give it a good test after the mods that I’ve done. The day was in Thetford Forest which is a huge area with mainly sandy loose tracks, a bit of tarmac, and muddy forest trails. I had a ride of about 75 miles which took about 3.5 hours, so not fast but it was hard work after a year of not much riding due to Covid.

I am very happy with the way the bike rides, out of all the mods and farkles without a doubt the best ones, and in my view the essential ones, if you want to do any serious off roading are:

1. Suspension

These bikes seem to be very soft on the front and very hard on the rear, this causes the bike to kick up the rear when riding and hitting holes and bumps, I could see this very clearly when riding behind Shadude who was on a stock 690. I have done 2 things to the forks, firstly upgraded them with the Ktech ORVS kit which gives compression and damping on both forks rather that the split function that KTM use for cost cutting and secondly upgraded the springs one spring rate to 63’s. (I weigh 13.5 stone or 85Kg). This has stopped the rear kick almost entirely and the bike feels nicely planted.

2. Scotts steering damper

This has been the most recent addition and the first time I have ever ridden with a damper. Its amazing how these dampers change the way the bike handles. It makes fast riding over loose ground feel more stable and in the mud and sloppy stuff I’m sure it saved me more than a few times. I’m sure it stopped me loosing the front a few times. Now I have ridden with a damper off road, I don’t think I would ever have an off road bike again without one. Its weird as you can’t really feel it doing much but the bike feels super planted and stable, it does increase your confidence on a variety of terrain, I’m liking it, a lot.

3. Tyres

I know I said in previous posts the Maxxis IT were great, well they are and I still believe that, however the Michelin Enduros are better. I ran one on the front and the grip was amazing despite the very poor conditions. I was nervous on the road, (following my crash on the tarmac the previous week), but I took it easy on the tarmac, but off road they are very good. I was impressed at how much grip they had even with the extra weight of the 690.

I have come from a KTM 350 Enduro and that was a great bike but I hadn’t done much to it, it was almost stock. I don’t think that I would have got on so well on the 350 stock as I did on the upgraded 690. I am genuinely surprised at how well this bike behaved on Sunday. This bike is getting better and better.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Wow! That Wings can looks great!! That's on my wish list! Just running my new 690 in now, can I ask where you got the tail tidy? Does it do away with the rear plate light?

·
Administrator
9,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #274
Tail tidy is part of the bike. It comes in two parts, one of which can be removed, as I have done here.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Great thread guys, ive just ordered a 690 enduro R and about to order a wings titanium with carbon shields. Cant wait to learn off road riding as doing some UK and European TET sections is on my bucket list!

·
Registered
4 Posts
It's brilliant! Bit of a monster, great fun on road and off! Look forward to seeing the end can! Please post a review?!

261 - 277 of 277 Posts