KTM Owners Forum banner

41 - 60 of 112 Posts

·
Administrator
8,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Heated grips are ace and for the 400 grams that they weigh (guess the weight) its a no brainer.

I love the rally thing but its really hard deciding whats the best bike for it, a modified EXCF or something bigger like a 690.

·
Administrator
8,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
This could be an epic turnout. So many people will be desperate to ride when the Klung-Flu has passed, Ship, we need to get planning!

Reactions: weeksy and Ship

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Heated grips are ace and for the 400 grams that they weigh (guess the weight) its a no brainer.

I love the rally thing but its really hard deciding whats the best bike for it, a modified EXCF or something bigger like a 690.
Heated grips are a must for me the people that diss them don't actually ride anywhere when it's cold...I have used the mitas on my 650 bmw they are good on tar and work ok off-road in all but deep mud... good compromise

·
Registered
8,632 Posts
You have a point. I ride 20 miles max on the road in winter to and from the off road places I go. If I had a road bike, I’d have them without a doubt.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I bumbed into Dibbs up here a while back, he and a matey had ridden up on the road bikes (not entirely sure if they managed a few trails on the way up as well) might be good to sort something out.
Haha I didn't know if you would remember me Andrew! yes we made it round half of the Thetford loop before heading home (by road as we was knackered by then...) I would love a meet up and ride round there again when this shit is over!

·
Premium Member
7,475 Posts
Hi Dibbs - l remember you from the 'Essex Boys' ride that BDA organised ..... you admirably dragged your AT around and everyone else was on enduro bikes ...... another good day!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Hi Dibbs - l remember you from the 'Essex Boys' ride that BDA organised ..... you admirably dragged your AT around and everyone else was on enduro bikes ...... another good day!
Hahahahaha yes that was a memorable day! Well im still draggin the AT around lol... but as its now worth fuck all i dont get upset at the odd lay down lol.... see you soon

·
Administrator
8,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #49 (Edited)
So my tyre dilemma continues and due to the lockdown, cider and eBay, I have ordered a set of Mitas E09's. I have spent ages looking through to find something aggressive for off road but something will also work in the road. I'm the end I think the E07's were too road oriented. One issue is the size fornm the rear, currently the bike has a 140 on a 2.5" rim but it looks really narrow. I've ordered a 150 but according to all the info I've read this will be too wide fornthe 2.5" rim. I have read though that some people run this size successfully. Tyres arrive on Tuesady along with some other drunken purchases.

·
Registered
8,632 Posts
Never mind the tyres. What’s the drunken purchases?

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
when your on the dirt mate,make sure you've got an enduro tyre on the front...

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
I tried to do a rally once on tyres like that you are wasting your time also no good using tubes or tubliss on a bigger bike off road you will constantly be fixing puntures. Metzeler six days front and Maxxis IT rear with mousses is what you need for off road, fit them trail tyres on another set of wheels for the matcho look outside starbucks if thats what floats your boat.

·
Administrator
8,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
I tried to do a rally once on tyres like that you are wasting your time also no good using tubes or tubliss on a bigger bike off road you will constantly be fixing puntures. Metzeler six days front and Maxxis IT rear with mousses is what you need for off road, fit them trail tyres on another set of wheels for the matcho look outside starbucks if thats what floats your boat.
Lee are you saying that the E09's are no good? I have a long time before my first rally and still haven't made up my mind which bike I will use so I'm really just getting the 690 setup for some summer riding in the UK and some lanes.

I think that the Metzeler 6 days front will be the same as the Tracker and be very sketchy on tarmac.

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
No good for proper off road these are not the same as I used but same sort of thing, blocks are to big on the rear to dig in and front profile is wrong and no chunks on the sides.
Yes six days front will be sketchy if pushed on the road but they are intended only for using the road to link up the fun bits (off road). No such thing as a good all round tyre, 2 sets of wheels is the only way.

·
Premium Member
5,865 Posts
I’ve just put a set of Rall Zs on the 950, they certainly look the part and hopefully won’t rip to shreds when I open the throttle on tarmac.

·
Administrator
8,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
I’ve just put a set of Rall Zs on the 950, they certainly look the part and hopefully won’t rip to shreds when I open the throttle on tarmac.
I did look at those and quite a few people rate them, but they're not on the Leeexc approved list so I left it.

·
Premium Member
5,865 Posts
Are front and rear both ok with tubes?
Yes I bought the “tube type”versions which are quite a bit cheaper than the tubeless.
Most of my off roading on 950/990 has been on the d908/MT21 combo. These are definitely more aggressive.

41 - 60 of 112 Posts