KTM Owners Forum banner

81 - 100 of 123 Posts

·
Administrator
8,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
let me know when you finished everything and it's for sale... :)
It's not for sale but for a small fee I'll build one just like it for you

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
every time i see 'KTM ready to race' it pisses me off
it's ready 6 months after
they're slowly getting better tho'

except WP suspension...

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
Tidy... looks like it’s shaping up nicely. Can’t go wrong with K-tech IMHO... transformed my old CBR600 into a new machine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
8,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
Yeah the Ktech upgrade has made a big difference. Been out on it today trying to deal it it. I think though that the Tracker front tyre is not a good choice on this bike, it seems to wander alot.

·
Administrator
8,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
I’ve had this bike for about 4 months now and done about 800 miles, the bike is quite unique in that it sits in s few different categories. Its kind of a dirt bike and kind of an adventure bike, but its also a good road bike. Its hard to know what it really is except it’s a really good ride. The engine is very smooth, more so now with the PCV, its powerful and the front comes up easily in the first 3 gears but is tamed by the traction control. On the trails the bike is very good most of the time, I except that its very dry out now and this could change as the year goes on but for the most part its good. Obviously the road sections which probably make up 60% of a days laning are rapid and fun as you have 75hp to play with, then for most of the lanes its quite playful and very easy to pop the front over the undulations of the trails. The only difficulty I have had was on a wide open area that was heavily rutted and rock solid so trying to get across this, mostly going across ruts etc. was difficult as I cant really get both feet down.

Before I fitted the Power Commander I found 3rd gear wasn’t quite right, on the trails doing about 25-30 mph 3rd gear was where I wanted to be in terms of rpm but the bike was laboring just slightly, in 2nd at this speed it seemed to be reving too high. I had thought of changing down the front sprocket from 15 to 14, but now with the PCV fitted 3rd gear seems perfect. The PCV has certainly improved the fueling, (not that it was bad to start with), but with the richer mixture the bike just seems to run much more comfortably and now the engine seems super smooth. Can’t really feel any power increase but its certainly made a noticeable difference in the delivery of power at low rpm.

I have also now had the K-Tech ORVS inserts in the forks installed and dropped one spring rate at the rear. The suspension on the 19/20 model is a big improvement on the previous model but it still lacked plushness and as usual from WP suspension the clickers never felt like they were actually making any difference. Now with the ORVS kit you have rebound and compression adjusters on each fork. The clickers do make a noticeable difference even with small adjustments. The suspension does now has a very plush feel to it.

On the rear with the stock spring I was struggling to get the static sag set with just the weight of the bike so I don’t understand why they even supply this spring, it seems too hard for the bike. I had to unwind the preload so much to get the static in spec that there was no preload on at all which made it ride harsh.
I’m still playing with the clickers and preload but this is just minor tweaks, the bike is much, much better for the suspension work.

I still haven’t found the right tyres yet, I’ve tried the Michelin trackers, and the Mitas E09’s and I’m not happy with either. The tracker on the rear wouldn’t of lasted 1000 miles and the E09 front has not off road grip at all, the tread blocks are only about 4mm which means thy are useless.

I have a set of Maxxis IT coming this week so hopefully this will be the best compromise for me.

Reactions: Ship and Dibbs

·
Premium Member
7,496 Posts
Odd that you couldnt get static sag sorted with standard spring - this is normaly set at the factory and its the rider sag that causes the agg, dependant on weight.

Never the less, all sorted now.

I reckon with a 2nd set of wheels you would have as near a 'do it all' bike as you could get.

I'll look forward to seeing that next week.

·
Administrator
8,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
I have been thinking of a second set of wheels but I haven't seen any for sale.

Need to do a bit of maintenance on the 350 before next week to get it ready.

·
Premium Member
7,496 Posts
There were some for sale on here but they went almost immediately. A set with a road bias and a trail riding set would be perfect.

Thanks for getting the 350 ready - l'll clean it afterwards!

·
Administrator
8,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #89 (Edited)
I've been experimenting with different tyres to find something that works very well off road but still gives me enough confidence on the tarmac. I've tried Michelin Trackers, they wore too fast and the bike was probably too heavy for them, Mitas E09 and E07, neither gave enough grip off road and now the Maxxis IT Pro. These seem to give the best off road grip and still seem ok in the road. They handle the weight of the bike much better.

The blocks are just slightly closer together than a normal enduro tyre.

Reactions: Ship and Dibbs

·
Premium Member
7,496 Posts
The Maxxis IT worked well on the 'big bike', on and off road. They seem to be wearing ok too.

·
Administrator
8,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
i plan to upgrade the fork springs from 5.9n/mm to 6.3n/mm which i have been told is the next rate up. after riding with Ship and Dibbs it became obvious that they were bottoming out.

I'm ok with changing the springs but my question is should i wind the clickers on fully out (anti clockwise) before i start?

The forks had had the ORVS kit fitted which means I have a top rebound clicker on each fork.

PFA

·
Premium Member
7,496 Posts
Thats my understanding if you are also changing the oil. If not, l cant see how its an issue id just swapping the spring out.

The upgrade will be worth it :cool:

·
Administrator
8,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
Don't need to change the oil, its only a few hours old. Ktech springs arriving this week. I will also swap back the shock to the standard (stiffer) one to match the front.

Reactions: Ship

·
Registered
8,649 Posts
Yeah, 690 is a nice machine.

·
Administrator
8,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
Yeah, 690 is a nice machine.
Its a very capable bike. When you ride it back to back with an excf you really notice how solid and well put together they are. Its not a race bike like the EXC's but for lanes I'm starting to think its a much better bike. The extra few kgs have not been a problem so far and the engine is very smooth with loads of tractable torque. It lugs really well from low down.

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
Its a very capable bike. When you ride it back to back with an excf you really notice how solid and well put together they are. Its not a race bike like the EXC's but for lanes I'm starting to think its a much better bike. The extra few kgs have not been a problem so far and the engine is very smooth with loads of tractable torque. It lugs really well from low down.
Sounds like (and I would agree having had a short 690 experience) a 20 year old 520 exc but no need to spend a fortune on it getting it right, oh and longer travel suspension, less weight and kickstart back up. Thats progression for you ;)

·
Premium Member
7,496 Posts
The 520 didnt have a quick shifter though! Having ridden Adam's 690, l would agree that it is a very capable bike ..... for me, it sits inbetween an exc and an adventure, yet capable of being able to equal the capabilities of both bikes with some minimal modification.

·
Registered
264 Posts
i plan to upgrade the fork springs from 5.9n/mm to 6.3n/mm which i have been told is the next rate up. after riding with Ship and Dibbs it became obvious that they were bottoming out.

I'm ok with changing the springs but my question is should i wind the clickers on fully out (anti clockwise) before i start?

The forks had had the ORVS kit fitted which means I have a top rebound clicker on each fork.

PFA

View attachment 34237
That's a nice looking bike. Been following your post, thanks (y). Just put a deposit on one today.

·
Administrator
8,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
They are great bikes, they still need a bit of work but it's a great base to work from.

·
Registered
264 Posts
They are great bikes, they still need a bit of work but it's a great base to work from.
I've fancied one for years. Did a Patsy Quick day on one back in 2009. I plan to do green lanes, trf, rallymoto, uk rallies and TET for starters, lol. Will run it in commuting to work. Will follow your advice on tyres, thanks, and will take it from there.

81 - 100 of 123 Posts