KTM Owners Forum banner

101 - 120 of 123 Posts

·
Administrator
8,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
Happy to help. Post up some pics when you get it. Where are you in the UK?

·
Registered
264 Posts
Cheers, will do re pics, not getting it until mid August though. I'm in North Herts. Been riding mostly enduro for the last 10 years, fancied scratching the 690 itch, still got my enduro bike, no good enduros on down south at the moment. Probably won't be much happening race wise until next year. 690 should be fun.

·
Administrator
8,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
They're a hoot on the road, they ride just like a dirt bike but with 75hp and proper brakes.

·
Administrator
8,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
I've been busy in the garage. Sneak preview, this is becoming a rally build. Now decided to use this bike now for the Ilyria Raid next year.

·
Premium Member
5,868 Posts
They're a hoot on the road, they ride just like a dirt bike but with 75hp and proper brakes.
Do they have ABS now? I found the front brake would very easily overcome the grip of the tyre, which actually dumped me on the road a couple of times.

·
Administrator
8,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
Do they have ABS now? I found the front brake would very easily overcome the grip of the tyre, which actually dumped me on the road a couple of times.
Yes they has ABS and it works very well even with knobbies.

·
Administrator
8,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #107

·
Administrator
8,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #108

Reactions: Miner

·
Registered
6,709 Posts
I think the engine has significant differences but they may have merged on later KTMs.
I have only ridden about 20 miles and a couple of easy lanes on the 701 and would have gone for it if I could have got a better deal.
To me, the 690 looks more purposeful, the 701 understated.

·
Administrator
8,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #114 (Edited)
The last few weeks have been busy in the garage not only with the 690 but with the 1290 Super Duke as well. I have been planning for some time to do rally raid next year in Greece and had been toying with the idea of using either the 350 or the 690 , I have now decided that because nearly 2000 kilometres would be ridden the 690 would make more sense . I think that 90% of the time the 690 would be the better bet and I'll just have to accept that 10% of the time it's going to get tough.

Since I bought the bike have been through four different sets of tyres trying to work out what gives me the best off road capability while still maintaining some Rd manners I tried the Mitas E09’s the E07’s and the Michelin Trackers and I've now finally settled on The Maxis IT’s . The Maxis on the rear gives nearly 18mm knobs which are great and on the front you have nearly 12mm but they're slightly closer together than a regular enduro tyre but still easily far enough apart to give you some decent bite off road. For the rally I may well upgrade the front to something slightly more extreme but certainly for the UK lanes and riding on the tarmac will be my choice from now on.

I've been thinking about different types of rally kit and although the Aurora and Omega look great I think they simply add too much weight to the bike without really giving any benefit so I've decided the MST is probably the best option. I’ve gone for a rally kit because it allows me to have more powerful lights it gives me some good mounting points for GPS and a little bit of wind protection, and it looks good. I ordered the MST0020 Enduro mask from Specialthings.IT

The cost was about £400. They were out of stock when I ordered it so had to wait a month, then when it arrived the screen was scratched in several places. i emailed them and had a ,oan and they sent a replacement screen within a few days, I was happy with the customer service in this respect. I now have a spare :).

The tower that is supplied in made quite well, although there are a few sharp edges that I have been taking off with a file as I don't want then to damage any cables. The tower also is not 100% ridgid which means it will be in a crash rather than break.

I will increase the fuel capacity on the bike with another 5ltr by using the raid garage auxiliary tank that sits below the seats where the air box was originally located, I've already upgraded the air filter.

So to recap I now have the Rade garage air filter currently using the additional storage tray but will be replaced by the fuel tank, I also have the wings exhaust and a Power Commander 5 fitted. I opted for one of their off the shelf downloadable Maps for the specific setup and the bike definitely runs smoother and is much stronger in the mid-range whereas before I would have used the bike predominantly with the off road map setting because I wanted the extra power it now seems either is perhaps too much power with the PCV so using the bike in road mode when off road might be an option just to tame it slightly but all round I'm happy.

I have also installed a set of KTM rally pegs. I found that the engine is very wide on the 690 especially of the right-hand side where the crank case protrudes. It means that you can’t get a good footing on the pegs, so I went for these. They are much bigger and much more comfortable. One thing I noticed, because of the additional weight of the 690 over the typical EXCF you really need to ride with more technique. What I mean is that you can be lazy on an EXCF on the lanes as they are so light so you can through it about and make it turn easily, with the 690 however you need to really weight the pegs and use your knees more to make it turn. Once you adapt you riding style a bit it rides really well, obviously you’re never going to do tight forest enduros on one but apart from that that they are very capable

Shortly after picking up the bike I mistakenly thought that the rear was too hard and so when I had the Forks upgraded with the ORVS kit from Ktech I asked the suspension guys to put a softer spring on the rear and I know that this was a mistake. I have now installed stiffer Springs in the forks and gone back to the original spring in the rear and this has made the bike ride significantly better, before I was definitely getting the forks bottoming out. I believe now also that because the bike is riding better in the stroke there's less chatter and vibrations coming from the front so this is proved to be worthwhile change . However I am still dialling in the suspension and it's taken longer than I planned because I've been playing around with the SDR more and and also I've had to take the bike back to the dealer because the ignition barrel got mashed where I think somebody tried to steal it. I've had a new lock set fitted about £450 which is a bit of a pisser to be honest.

On the back of a post from Nokkaz about preload adjusters i bought an Xtrig Preload Adjuster. A really nice bit of kit to make changing the preload really easy. On the 690 its almost impossible to change the preload without taking the shock off which is totally impractical if you are making small adjustments.

If you plan to change the rear spring, which is easy to do, you need spring clamps (spring press) as the shock spring is still under tension even when the preload collar is oud out all the way, therefore its impossible to get the spring off with out additional compression on it.

All round though I am very happy with the 690 it is a good bike it's much better than the previous model.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Wow, you have been busy. Yeah, I went for the 690 as a bike capable of doing some rallies, just adventure type rally for me, nothing too serious. Thinking of a rally tower for mine. Somewhere to mount some nav gear, but as you say, keep it light. I heard the rally footpegs are an improvement. Don't know if you have done any road book, if not rallymoto would be good road book practice if you need it for next years rally. They have an event in Thetford in November (although the course is designed to be ridden on the big adventure bikes), you also need to be a member to do it.

·
Administrator
8,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #116
I might have a look at the Thetford event

·
Registered
11 Posts
I might have a look at the Thetford event
Wow, you have been busy. Yeah, I went for the 690 as a bike capable of doing some rallies, just adventure type rally for me, nothing too serious. Thinking of a rally tower for mine. Somewhere to mount some nav gear, but as you say, keep it light. I heard the rally footpegs are an improvement. Don't know if you have done any road book, if not rallymoto would be good road book practice if you need it for next years rally. They have an event in Thetford in November (although the course is designed to be ridden on the big adventure bikes), you also need to be a member to do it.
Join in if I may lads
New 690 arrives next week looking to add a few extras to make a mid weigh rally/ adventure bike.
Been watching all the mods you lads are doing
Has anyone had any experience with the nomad navi tower there a Dutch company looks well made and had a detachable plate for roadbook and ico

·
Administrator
8,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #118
Many people have good things to say about Nomad but I havent any experience of them myself.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I'm the same as you trackback, pick my 690 up next week. So no experience of aftermarket parts, yet 😁

·
Registered
11 Posts
I’ve looked at lots of navi towers and will probably go with the nomad as it’s adaptable to add or take off the roadbook fairly easily
And I can swap between the 690 or my 300 for the harder winter events

101 - 120 of 123 Posts