KTM Owners Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I am Juan, new in the forum. I bought a ktm 690 smc r 2016 last summer.

I have "succesfully" rebuild the motor (new piston and cylinder nikasil plating), I have been riding it few weeks but not more than 10-20 minutes as after this time when the motor reaches the working temp. the low oil pressure light turn on. I have seen this problem in many posts and I have tried all. It comes "slowly", first times you see it but if you rev. up it dissapears, but comes as soon as you release throttle, afer 1 minute doing that, it stays red solid.

Data:
New Motorex 10w60 (Filled to max.) (2 oil changes for clean after rebuild)
New oil filters
New oil pressure switch
Oil screens looking good

I was waiting for a ECU reset because I switched two sensors when mounting the motor (gear sensor and exhaust sensor) and after connecting properly the N gear was not detected. But anyway with the ECU reset, neutral gear is being detected (problem solved :D) but low oil pressure is still doing the same.

So today I opened the side part of the motor to reach the oil pumps and I have seen one of the outer cylinders is very scratched:

Natural material Silver Body jewelry Jewellery Monochrome photography

Tire Automotive tire Finger Rim Thumb

Black Jewellery Auto part Metal Electric blue

I hope this is the problem (What do you think?), if not the last thing to check for me is the 2 oil jets inside the motor, but I remember to check the jets, the jet ducts and clean them. Maybe I forgot to clean any other duct of the oil circuit and when start the engine after rebuild, some small metal pieces went to the oil pumps as when mounting the oil pump I do not remember those scratches when rebuilding the motor.

The surface for the oil pumps in the motor is looking good:
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wheel Crankset Bicycle part

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Water Alloy wheel Automotive design

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread Automotive design Wheel

I will bet buying two new oil pumps that are not very expensive 25€ each. I will inform if this solves the problem. While waiting, what are your guesses?

Thank you!

·
Registered
824 Posts
I don’t have a 690 but maybe I should get one now! That’s one of the best reads I’ve had for the home mechanic? I wonder if he would write one for the 1190. Good bedtime reading.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have you checked the oil pressure regulator valve and spring? Minimum length of spring from manual is 25.36 mm
Scratches on the oil pump gears I wouldn't worry about, another issue is the auto cam chain tensioners leaking.
Hello,
I forgot to mention I have installed manual cam chain tensioner, thinking it was going to solve the problem, but nothing changed:
Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle

Thanks for remember me the spring length measure, it is 26mm so seems is okay, although in the link you sent the guy is saying 27.5mm (maybe that was for 2011 model? mine is 2016):
Calipers Musical instrument accessory Finger Data storage device Bumper

I think I will change the oil pumps anyway and if it keeps appearing the light I will have to open the motor again. Or do you have any other possible check before re-opening? Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Font Wood Trigger Plastic Gun barrel

I have been waiting more than 2 weeks for the parts.

I have changed: spring, valve, oil screens, and oil pumps . The error persists :( :( :(
The oil filters that appear in the box not, I changed them before.

.I will open the motor to check:
  • the o-ring in the middle of the two engine case (Maybe falled when closing the motor)
  • the two oil jets for piston and cylinder (Mayble blocked)
  • oil conducts.

If nothing of those 3 points appear to have the error, I do not know what else could be causing this. Anyone that had this low oil pressure light after 15-20 minutes of riding and where was the error? I will keep updated when completly opened the motor.

Thank you!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am opening the motor to reach the jets and o-ring, I have found coolant in the gasket in between the cylinder head and the cylinder. All bolts were at correct torque. Is this normal? Maybe affects to the oil low pressure light in some way?
Thank you
Bicycle part Rim Machine Motor vehicle Gas

White Automotive tire Crankset Vehicle brake Bicycle part

·
Registered
435 Posts
Have you checked the actual oil pressure at idle, There could be a whole batch of defective switches, I think the pressure at idle on a engine with the oil temp of 70 degrees and above is
6 psi or 0.4 bar from memory.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello everyone, I am Juan, new in the forum. I bought a ktm 690 smc r 2016 last summer.

I have "succesfully" rebuild the motor (new piston and cylinder nikasil plating), I have been riding it few weeks but not more than 10-20 minutes as after this time when the motor reaches the working temp. the low oil pressure light turn on. I have seen this problem in many posts and I have tried all. It comes "slowly", first times you see it but if you rev. up it dissapears, but comes as soon as you release throttle, afer 1 minute doing that, it stays red solid.

Data:
New Motorex 10w60 (Filled to max.) (2 oil changes for clean after rebuild)
New oil filters
New oil pressure switch
Oil screens looking good

I was waiting for a ECU reset because I switched two sensors when mounting the motor (gear sensor and exhaust sensor) and after connecting properly the N gear was not detected. But anyway with the ECU reset, neutral gear is being detected (problem solved :D) but low oil pressure is still doing the same.

So today I opened the side part of the motor to reach the oil pumps and I have seen one of the outer cylinders is very scratched:

View attachment 43437
View attachment 43438
View attachment 43439

I hope this is the problem (What do you think?), if not the last thing to check for me is the 2 oil jets inside the motor, but I remember to check the jets, the jet ducts and clean them. Maybe I forgot to clean any other duct of the oil circuit and when start the engine after rebuild, some small metal pieces went to the oil pumps as when mounting the oil pump I do not remember those scratches when rebuilding the motor.

The surface for the oil pumps in the motor is looking good:
View attachment 43440
View attachment 43441
View attachment 43442

I will bet buying two new oil pumps that are not very expensive 25€ each. I will inform if this solves the problem. While waiting, what are your guesses?

Thank you!
IVE GOT 2017 KTM 690 ENDURO R ,, NO OIL PRESURE AT ALL ,,ONLY DONE AN EAZY 4000 CLICKS..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts