KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok some info first:

- Stock 2007 SM (stock cans filter etc etc)
- Latest map for stock bike 750800201

Issue A: It was a bit rough when opening throttle, so I decided to have a look at TPS with TuneEcu, but didnt have any other issues like stalling or anything

Issue B: Cant see how I can activate the throttle cable adjustment option to adjust the cables. It looks grayed out

What I find strange is that the TPS only goes from 0 to 9%... Last time I checked (about 5-8 k kms ago) it was going from 0 to 97%

Only other thing I can see (or smell to be exact) is that it smells carbon monoxide.

I reloaded the map, did a 15 min reset (before the reset, tps indication was at 1 or 2% closed, after the reset was 0 when closed, but still up to 9%)

Here are some pics bellow

After Reset Closed Diagnostics

After Reset Closed Tests

After Reset Open Diagnostics

After Reset Open Tests by okipouros, on Flickr

·
Registered
341 Posts
You can try resetting the TPS.

Turn on the ignition
slowly and steadily open the throttle all the way open
then slowly and steadily close the throttle
turn off the ignition

then check it again?

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, thanks for the reply, forgot to mention that I did that as you mentioned, no change regarding the 9% value

also I wonder if the voltage values with the throttle open are correct, as the dial goes up to 1.2 and the voltage is about 4...

Also I tried it with 2 different laptops.

I wonder if anyone can have a look and tell me what sort of voltages he is getting

·
Registered
518 Posts
Oki,
your manual reveals all!
If you cannot find it, try this thread: KTM 690 fix staling problem using TuneECU
Probably best to run the "15minute idle" adaptation procedure after you're through resetting the throttle pot.

If you get a problem with anything being 'greyed out', try disconnecting the k-line USB connector from your laptop and replugging to force the port to reset. Worth noting that in every screenshot you've pasted above, the little TPS icon at the bottom of the page is greyed out. If I understand correctly this indicates a fault and the throttle is out of control. The cure, to my knowledge, is to replace the intake air temperature sensor (61041080000), although I have no direct experience of this fault. If I were you I'd try replacing the sensor first, then resetting the throttle pots, then the 15 minute idle adaptation.

If you dig more around that link I pasted you'll learn a great deal.

Good luck, and let us know how you get on.

Oh, and for what it's worth, carbon monoxide is odourless!

Cheers... P

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi, thanks for the reply.

I have read that post

I was just resetting everything.

Closed voltage was normal at 0.51, THAD was 0.68, so I try to adjust it using the alen screw and nothing happens... no response... I then push closed the butterfly, and the voltage starts to respond, and i set it to 0.72. I then adjust APAD to 0.73. Everything seems to work, TPS goes from 1% to 100% smoothly.

I switch on and off and same thing... 0.68 voltage and it will not go more than 9%... I again fiddle a bit with the butterfly, and starts to work normally for a moment when opening and closing the throttle, then suddenly again sticks to .68 V and up to 9%...

I tried some carburetor spray, didnt see any improvement

You mean the cure for a dodgy TPS sensor is changing the air temperature sensor... right...

About the carbon monoxide: What I meant was that it smells unburnt fuel

·
Registered
518 Posts
Oki,
what happens if you just turn on the ignition and leave everything alone? No fiddling with the throttle, no TPS adjustment, no pressing on the throttle plates?

Does the TPS icon at the bottom of the screen go green?

Not sure what your thinking behind the carburettor spray was... where did you spray it? What was it? Carb. cleaner or some ether-laden cold-start spray? I cannot imagine either would do you any good!

Yes, I've a colleague with the 2009 version of your machine that had issues with stalling and his cure was the intake temperature sensor. OK, different symptoms to yours, but he also had some bizarre TPS values, although nothing like as low as yours if I remember correctly. He definitely had the issue with the greyed out TPS icon. I'll ask him later in the week if I see him (he rarely makes an appearance here).

As for the smelly exhaust and rich running, I'm surprised your engine runs at all if it only ever sees 9% throttle. Are you sure the map-set is correct for your model? How long have you had the problem and does it's arrival correspond to you loading the latest mapping? If so, what happens if you go back to your previous map-set? Exactly which model do you have (including country code)?

Two of the golden rules with mapping are only ever make one change at a time, and if you suddenly have a problem, it is certainly caused by your very last modification!! I'm probably way off-track with this, but it's good to ask. If only to rule out the obvious.

Cheers... P

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oki,
what happens if you just turn on the ignition and leave everything alone? No fiddling with the throttle, no TPS adjustment, no pressing on the throttle plates?
Works almost normal, not the smoothest response, but no real problems. Starts ok
Does the TPS icon at the bottom of the screen go green?
Flashes green, Its just that I took the screenshots between the f
Not sure what your thinking behind the carburettor spray was... where did you spray it? What was it? Carb. cleaner or some ether-laden cold-start spray? I cannot imagine either would do you any good!
There was some gank around the butterfly

Yes, I've a colleague with the 2009 version of your machine that had issues with stalling and his cure was the intake temperature sensor. OK, different symptoms to yours, but he also had some bizarre TPS values, although nothing like as low as yours if I remember correctly. He definitely had the issue with the greyed out TPS icon. I'll ask him later in the week if I see him (he rarely makes an appearance here).

As for the smelly exhaust and rich running, I'm surprised your engine runs at all if it only ever sees 9% throttle. Are you sure the map-set is correct for your model? How long have you had the problem and does it's arrival correspond to you loading the latest mapping? If so, what happens if you go back to your previous map-set? Exactly which model do you have (including country code)?
Had this map for a while. Was fine last time I checked. When I checked this time, I had this TPS issue, reloaded the same map, but nothing changed

Two of the golden rules with mapping are only ever make one change at a time, and if you suddenly have a problem, it is certainly caused by your very last modification!! I'm probably way off-track with this, but it's good to ask. If only to rule out the obvious.

Cheers... P
I believe its slightly better now, but only went around the block.. who knows.. will leave it as it is now

·
Registered
113 Posts
not sure what you were doing above in setting the voltages but it didnt sound correct. follow the guide below, it works. At least get that right, then you can move on.

guide to checking the tps voltages, i've seen on a couple of forums: (worked for me)

PLEASE NOTE: This is not the KTM approved procedure. I came up with this procedure after being given the values for the THAD and APAD sensors. I did this willing to assume full responsibility if I damaged or messed anything up. You should be willing to do the same.
Proceed at your own risk.
1. Remove seat.
2. Pull headlight fuse
3. Remove airbox
4. Disconnect the large multi pin connector going to the bottom of the throttle body
5. Turn ignition on
6. First verify THAD voltage level. There is a 3 pin connector that connects to the sensor on the left hand side. Using a meter and a safety pin, determine which wire is the signal wire. I did this by connecting the meter ground to the negative battery cable and probing with the meter positive by sticking the safety pin between the seal and the wire down at the connector. The connector needs to stay connected. One wire will have a +5v, one wire will be 0 (ground) and the other will be the signal (~.7v) once you figure out the probing with the safety pin, this went quickly for me. Once you find the signal wire, reach inside the TB and close the throttle blade. You should see the voltage level drop. Adjust the sensor as required to get the voltage level as specified: THAD Voltage should be 0,52V ± 0,02V Fully Closed.
7. Now verify APAD voltage level. Same procedure as above. Sensor is located on right side of TB. Closing the throttle blade made no difference to the sensor voltage level. This sensor is tied to the hand throttle. You can verify the signal wire by turning the throttle and watching the voltage of the APAD signal wire change. Adjust as required to get the voltage level as specified: APAD Voltage should be 0,72V ± 0,02V Fully Closed.
8. Once both sensors are set, turn off ignition and re-assemble everything.
Also note that the battery voltage should be higher than 9.5 V when adjusting the sensors.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmmm what I did wrong was that I didn't pull the 3 pin connector, and I checked the voltages through TuneECU instead of a multimeter. Will check again today, thanks!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Does anyone know if the voltages should be the same as above for a 2008 SMR (the beaky one)?

I've had some if the issues listed above so I'm going to check this at weekend, just wanted to confirm I'm checking for the right voltages.

Cheers,
Sam

·
Registered
1 Posts
Good day I have tha same issue, get only 9 % on TPS.. All voltages adjusted. Maps reloaded. 15 min reset done. But when doing throttle calibration only get 9 %....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts