KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I'd like to try changing the cam chain tensioner on my 690 SM rather than taking it to the shop.

Is there anything specific I need to do other than to just open it up, replace the tensioner (it's not a manual tensioner). And close it up again?

Sorry, perhaps a silly question but I can't find any information on how to do it in the owners manual.

Thanks

·
Registered
946 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sooo..... I ensure it is compressed, as shown in the video above. Pop it in... then what? I have to release it or can I just screw the cover back on and thats it?

·
Registered
946 Posts
Once it's in screw the cap back on to torque, undo the small cap at the end, stick a screwdriver in the hole and push the ball thingy at the end of tensioner, should spring open and set itself. Jobs a good'un

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm struggling to remove the existing tensioner. Anything special I should be doing? Or do I need a special tool, like those reverse pincer type things, or some kind of telescopic magnet?

·
Registered
946 Posts
Circlip pliers or needle nose should put it out. Otherwise pop the valve cover off and knock it back with a screwdriver.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the tips. Managed to remove it with some circlip pliers, had to order them and wait.
The tensioner that was inside was fully compressed, i.e. not expanded... which seems odd.

Anyway, I popped the new one in compressed (like in the video above https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwiJkRJTz-Y). Then used a screwdriver like suggested to expand it. I'm not totally sure if it really expanded though, should I just be able to feel it when it expands?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts