KTM Owners Forum banner

41 - 60 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Put a new oil filter in....oem. You still need to get to the bottom of oil light, could be a dodgy switch and rad cap failure seem to be common.
changed oil n filter and changed coolant bled the rad and topped up the expansion bottle as suggested but as soon as the bike warmed through the coolant in the expansion bottle has just vanished, there there no leaks or anything??? and bike is running normal,
can some one explain the rad cap failure symtoms please cheers

·
Premium Member
31,489 Posts
Might need bleeding.

With bike on centre stand and rad cap off, lift the bike by the right bar until its balancing on the rear wheel and left centre stand leg. Bubbles will come out the coolant. Top up and do it again until no more air comes out.

Reactions: day7936

·
Registered
654 Posts
Might need bleeding.

With bike on centre stand and rad cap off, lift the bike by the right bar until its balancing on the rear wheel and left centre stand leg. Bubbles will come out the coolant. Top up and do it again until no more air comes out.
thanks kev will give that a go in the morning

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
got the seal all seated tonight and the clutch cover back on, still waiting for the new impeller. i was a bit disappointed to find id only been sent 1 new small circlip so had to reuse an old one, so i wasn't best pleased about that Triple-D!

i noticed there was a tiny but of rotational movement on the shaft after id put the cover on, is that normal? i wasn't sure if the other part that turns the new shaft might be worn?

anyway i should get it finished up tomorrow night as long as the new impeller arrives & i dont fuck it up. hopefully get it all oiled & bled & out for a evening blast.

·
Premium Member
7,722 Posts
got the seal all seated tonight and the clutch cover back on, still waiting for the new impeller. i was a bit disappointed to find id only been sent 1 new small circlip so had to reuse an old one, so i wasn't best pleased about that Triple-D!

i noticed there was a tiny but of rotational movement on the shaft after id put the cover on, is that normal? i wasn't sure if the other part that turns the new shaft might be worn?

anyway i should get it finished up tomorrow night as long as the new impeller arrives & i dont fuck it up. hopefully get it all oiled & bled & out for a evening blast.
As long as the slot and output are aligned up.....there should be virtually no movement on the shaft...

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
warped cases wouldn't cause this movement. The new shaft & the drive that turns its are properly aligned. It's probably less than 10 degrees of movement.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
No sparky, I wonder how many have tightened up the case bolts up with the key not aligned and then blamed the case warping on oven.
Maybe, I had my alignment right but I can see your thinking there about people blaming it. I reckon those magnesium cases don't have much flex in them though?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
job done, oil pressure back to normal & I've shortened my heat shield to make the job easier in the future (the back bolt was fkd). thanks for the input guys i probably wouldn't have attempted it without the info above.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My bike ran amazing this morning, then this evening the oil light is flickering. Same thing?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I’ll pull the oil filter later today but my oil reservoir cap has this cream coffee colour going... although I dipped my finger into the oil itself and it seems good...

·
Registered
541 Posts
that's mayonaise (as we call it here in NL) : water condensation inside the oil mixes slightly with the oil giving it that emulsion.
go for a good ride and let the oil get hot enough, the water will evaporate .
usually signs of short rides, or moist air and cold temperatures...

as for the oil light, www.ktm950.info has a few threads on oil pressure (also with regards to the cam chain tensioners). most of the time the culprit is an oil overpressure valve worn badly and/or spring.
bugger thing is you nee to remove the clutch to get to it: Replacing the Oil Pressure Regulator

Reactions: Koan

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Follow all the steps earlier in this thread. My old 990 lasted just past 30K when the water pump shaft wore a groove in its self. Very common in pre 2010 bikes, when they upgraded the shaft. But check all the other points, eliminating them is a lot easier
Good luck

41 - 60 of 68 Posts