KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

So it's been a pretty long and laboured process but in short I started having issues with my KTM 990 SM either high revving at idle or cutting out completely.

I took the bike to my local KTM dealer (I'll not name them) and they took one look at it and said it needed a whole new throttle body. £1200 fitted please they said. I wasn't so sure and I'd read in numerous other forums of folks being told the same thing.

Anyway so I took the bike home, bought Tune ECU for android and spent a few weeks tinkering about with the TPS voltages and eventually bought a new 2nd Throttle Position Sensor (the one nearest the handlebars) and fitted it. I got mine through ams4ktm.co.uk for about £105.

When you fit these it's important to do the test in Tune ECU on the 2nd TPS and set the voltage at that point, when the app is telling you the voltage and to adjust it. You want it somewhere in the region of .58v at 0%. Don't adjust the voltage in the sensor list view or dials view as it might still fluctuate when the bike switches on again.

The 1st TPS (nearest the saddle) should be set to about 1v at 0%. On this 1st TPS remember that if you remove it then it's spring loaded so when you put it back on you need to open the butterflies fully, re-fit the 1st TPS, close butterflies again and re-set voltage. Otherwise the butterfly motor will try to close them at start up and you'll get a weird clicking sound as it can't go past the reset point.

Also make sure you reset the adaptation of the ECU before you put it all together (feature on map screen or adjustments menu in Tune ECU).

Put it all back together and fingers crossed you should be good. No need to spend £1200 on a new throttle body. If you still have issues then re-check your voltages in Tune ECU are correct or maybe look at adjusting your throttle cable.

Basically the garages can't be fucked to do all of the above so they hit you with default fix. If you can be arsed though it'll save you over a grand! Time wise I could get a full strip to sensors, tweak and re-build down to about 50 mins. So it's not a huge amount of effort here.

I wanted to share as various posts etc on various threads really helped with my fix and wanted to pay my experience forward.

Happy riding!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hi All

So it's been a pretty long and laboured process but in short I started having issues with my KTM 990 SM either high revving at idle or cutting out completely.

I took the bike to my local KTM dealer (I'll not name them) and they took one look at it and said it needed a whole new throttle body. £1200 fitted please they said. I wasn't so sure and I'd read in numerous other forums of folks being told the same thing.

Anyway so I took the bike home, bought Tune ECU for android and spent a few weeks tinkering about with the TPS voltages and eventually bought a new 2nd Throttle Position Sensor (the one nearest the handlebars) and fitted it. I got mine through ams4ktm.co.uk for about £105.

When you fit these it's important to do the test in Tune ECU on the 2nd TPS and set the voltage at that point, when the app is telling you the voltage and to adjust it. You want it somewhere in the region of .58v at 0%. Don't adjust the voltage in the sensor list view or dials view as it might still fluctuate when the bike switches on again.

The 1st TPS (nearest the saddle) should be set to about 1v at 0%. On this 1st TPS remember that if you remove it then it's spring loaded so when you put it back on you need to open the butterflies fully, re-fit the 1st TPS, close butterflies again and re-set voltage. Otherwise the butterfly motor will try to close them at start up and you'll get a weird clicking sound as it can't go past the reset point.

Also make sure you reset the adaptation of the ECU before you put it all together (feature on map screen or adjustments menu in Tune ECU).

Put it all back together and fingers crossed you should be good. No need to spend £1200 on a new throttle body. If you still have issues then re-check your voltages in Tune ECU are correct or maybe look at adjusting your throttle cable.

Basically the garages can't be fucked to do all of the above so they hit you with default fix. If you can be arsed though it'll save you over a grand! Time wise I could get a full strip to sensors, tweak and re-build down to about 50 mins. So it's not a huge amount of effort here.

I wanted to share as various posts etc on various threads really helped with my fix and wanted to pay my experience forward.

Happy riding!
What was the procedure you followed to reset your TPS mte? ... having trouble doing mine :(

1 - 3 of 3 Posts