KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I've just fitted a KTM 37 litre top box which demands removal of the 990 SMT rack and grabrails that it came with. It gets replaced with a plate for the SMT which is bolted onto the same four bolts at the back (with rubbish hex bolts) with spacers which are about 40mm and 50mm. Then another plastic plate is bolted onto that again with four much smaller bolts.

I wasn't too impressed really because I kinda liked the look of the grabrails and the rack as well. I'm also not too impressed with the build quality of the topbox and the fact that it wobbles around a bit. The plastic seems thin and not really very strong. I used to have Givi boxes on my old Tiger and they were rock solid.

The KTM alarm is rubbish. I have to stand right next to it to turn it off or on and even then it takes a second or two. You practically have to knock it over to get the motion senser to react. Which was proven just yesterday when some complete seeyounexttuesday smashed into my beloved whilst trying to park his f'ing great BMW. I didn't catch him which is why I'm not writing this from jail and he won't be reading it from hospital. As far as I can see no real damage has been done but to say it angered me is an understatement. The bike was shunted for a bit and I think it would have gone over save for the large chain attaching it to a lampost.

I had a datatool ordered but it wouldn't fit under the seat. Pity because I've had a few datatool alarms and had no problems with them and the remote range was great.

It's a real shame because the quality of the bike is superb but I'll be avoiding any rubbish KTM powerparts from now on.

I've also managed to fit a Garmin GPSMap 60csx to the handle bars which I use for mountain biking and hiking. OK it's no tomtom but it shows up topographic maps, waypoints and stuff. More of an aid to navigation really.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alarmed disclock

Fair point actually. I'm not sure I'd buy an alarm again especially since the SMT comes with an immobilizer as standard. I've not paid out for any theft insurance as I have very little regard for insurance companies. They're not your friends especially when you need them. I'd rather spend the cash on deterrents and other security. So, I'll take your advice and get an alarmed disc lock AND use it with the cover, immobilizer, English Chain, padlock and rubbish KTM alarm.

I can't wait until I someday have a garage.

Paranoia rules.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
I've also managed to fit a Garmin GPSMap 60csx to the handle bars which I use for mountain biking and hiking. OK it's no tomtom but it shows up topographic maps, waypoints and stuff. More of an aid to navigation really.
Map60 CSX beats the hell outa Tom Toms!

(admittedly you need to actually read the manual,
and practice quite a bit before fluency comes)

Dunno what mount youve used, but Garmin do make
a BMX handlebar mount & bracket which is just the job

:)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I used the Garmin Large diameter rail mount adaptor (25-32mm) accessory. Despite saying it's only upto 32mm it actually is a lot larger. It comes with 1 thick and two thinner rubber strips. Given that the SMT handlebar bottom diameter is larger than the top half I was able to cut the larger rubber strip to fit making the diameter fit and the rail adapter fit very snugly.

I've already got two standard adapters for my bikes so it's simply a matter of snapping the GPS into it's cradle and then clicking it onto the rail mount adapter.

Being paranoid as I am (if it can go wrong it will go wrong) I've also made use of the GPS maps wrist strap holder thing which I fix to the handlebar incase the cradle fails. I've no wish to watch my GPS fly off after I've hit a bump in the road.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have the SW Motech Alurack top box adapter:

That's the bit that is always on the bike, doesn't look too bad? It's designed to closely resemble the original luggage rack.

When I want to put the box on, I first attach this adapter plate (this one is for Givi/Kappa Monolock boxes, adapters are available for all possible luggage brands). The adapter plate is quick detachable using anything vaguely resembling a big slot screwdriver.

Then just slap on the box itself.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I have the larger KTM topbox and the grab rails are still there!?

I only got the bike new out of teh shop yesterday and I haven't taken it off yet but in any case, I do still have the grabrails AND the box...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm wondering if it's really necessary to take off those rails then. Judging by the instructions that came with the box I think that the metal plate has to be used instead of the plastic grab rails and rack that the bike is sold with. Maybe they're not deemed as strong enough?

·
Registered
359 Posts
I don't know, mine was mounted was the KTM dealer. I don't have any instructions!

Note to self: ask for topbox documentation when bringing bike to dealer for first maintenance...

·
Registered
386 Posts
my large topbox is mounted on the standard SMT rails as well.

i had to take everything off to remove the exhausts, and found out that the KTM bottom plate/grabrails is MORE than sturdy enough to carry just about anything.

The flimsy plastic top plate which carries the box is of lesser quality, but i think it will hold for a while.

KTM alarm sucks indeed: i have to stand right next to the bike to turn it on and off, and even then the remote doesn't always react to my impulse.

verdict: the topbox is ugly, but it is a great accessory. don't want to live without one now. the alarm is pretty useles.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
IBeing paranoid as I am (if it can go wrong it will go wrong) I've also made use of the GPS maps wrist strap holder thing which I fix to the handlebar incase the cradle fails. I've no wish to watch my GPS fly off after I've hit a bump in the road.
which is exactly what happened to my Map60c on my XR600 :eek:
luckily I'd looped the strap round the bars :D

When I bought the CSX I put a small carbiner clip on
the end of the strap, I can now clip this onto the
brake hose, running across the bars, as back-up
safety retainer ;)

·
Registered
330 Posts
I am planning on fitting my leftover BMW top box and bracket onto the 990 SM once the SMT hand rail arrives. This is how I imagine it will look like:

(Regular set-up)

(With the box expended)

I kind of like the square look, as opposed to the beehive shaped Givi top box look.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Couple of pics of my bike with the 35 litre Kappa top box

On my previous bike (GSX650F) it was actually perched higher. Not too bad on the SMT, IMO. Of course any top box will look big pictured from the rear.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I bought a topbox brand I'd never heard of, then found on this site that Shad make the KTM topboxes. Small world. This is different from the KTM ones though. The shape is certainly different, and it sounds like the closure mechanism is different too. The carry handle tucks in flat and locks in place, which stops the 2 other handles moving so locks the box to the bike and the lid closed.

The SH40 fits a laptop in a backpack, and the mounting base just bolted straight onto the SMT rack very easily. I'm glad of that, because I've had to take it off twice now to play with the exhausts. You can see the baseplate mounted on top of the SMT rack in my thread on Wings exhaust pics

It's a bit squarer than the KTM badged ones, but I think it suits the bike well, and the shape is more useful for packing it. Was cheaper than the KTM one too.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts