KTM Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Mine was fitted at the dealers and i was urprised to see they had taken off the grab rails........ so i had them change it back. When i got it home i had a look and the base plate from the box will fit straight onto the rack/handles combo. It might not be fixed solid to the frame of the bike but, if those handles that are holding your pillion in place are made from the same plastic my guess is that they will be for securing your box to. Or is that why they sell a separate plate?

Does anyone know anyone at KTM?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Just fitted the Adventure type Gobi (42L) case in black using the Hepco & Becker universal adapter plate to my SMT. Was an easy fit, only needed to drill 2 small holes in the plastic SMT rack to make sure I was spreading the load as much as possible. Will try to get around to some photos.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Seeing as we are looking at top boxes ( are we old farts or what:redface:) I thought I would show you my set-up on my recently aquired SMT.

I fancied one of the KTM metal boxes, but the price ( about £320 by the time you get a mounting plate ) kinda put me off them a bit, that and the fact that a freind who has metal ones on his GS reckons they dint and scratch easily, he sat on it while camping and the lid caved in!!

So I had a quick search on ebay to see what was going and came up with this Givi 39 litre monolock jobbie
It matches the bike very well with the top of the case being white ( at the risk of looking a bit "poncy" ) but the adaptor that came with it was not one of the universal types, so it took me a few hours in my garage to modify the flange to miss the KTM grabrails and exhaust heatshields and then change the fixing holes for the bolt centres, so it took me most of the night, that's why this pic was taken outside in the dark.

I'm quite happy with this set-up as I'll only use it about 3 times per year, I only paid £60 for the box and rack off ebay :D so its saved me a fortune compared to the ally KTM one at £320 !! Just needs some KTM stickers down the sides of it now.
They also make a brake light kit for it that links up to the centre light above the lock mechanism, so I might fit that at a later date.

A couple of questions for those of you who have the KTM 37 litre box,:- What carrying weight rating is on it? as this Givi has a label inside saying max carrying weight 3kgs which sounds pretty low when you consider that they also make a backrest for it and I'm sure that if you got a 14 stone passenger leaning back on it, that would be more than 3 kgs?? Or do you think Givi are just covering their ar5es with respect to weight loading??

The other thing to take note of is the rack and grabrails on the SMT itself are only rated up to 8 kgs carrying capacity if you read the owners manual, but I think once again this is just to cover themselves against claims.

Whaddaya think??

Poucher

·
Registered
195 Posts
Givi are having a laugh with that weight limit. I have a 46l box and regularly carry 3x that with no problems. It's a great box and always totally waterproof.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just fitted the Adventure type Gobi (42L) case in black using the Hepco & Becker universal adapter plate to my SMT. Was an easy fit, only needed to drill 2 small holes in the plastic SMT rack to make sure I was spreading the load as much as possible. Will try to get around to some photos.
Can you provide a part number and where you bought this rack that works with the Gobi top case? I have the Gobi panniers and top box on my 990 adventure R, and also use the side panniers on my 990 SMT but am struggling to find a top rack solution that will enable me to mount the Gobi top box on the SMT and it looks as though you have that solution.

This is my first post so here are a couple of vids from down under for your amusement.
Snowy River Trip - April, 2012 - Trev (KTM 990 Adventure R) & Pete (DL1000) - YouTube
KTM 990 SMT - YouTube

21 - 26 of 26 Posts