KTM Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning All,
Just a quick simple question to all out there. I’ve owned many bikes and currently a Z900 but seriously looking at The KTM adventure range secondhand. There are so many variants i thought id ask please advise whether 1090/1190/1290 have big differences, performance, reliability, size? I’m 6”6 and fit well on most bikes. Pillion comfort important etc and “Fun Factor” you’ve probably had this asked so many times. Prices vary so much so any advice would be great
Cheers
Si

·
Registered
301 Posts
1090 / 1190 / 1290 - biggest difference is engine size and therefore power!!! Adventure = slightly more room at the expense of handling (but you can still run in the inter-group on a track-day with the right tyres). Superduke GT = slightly better handling but at slight expense of comfort

Both bikes are fun and there isn't a bad choice -just depends on what you're looking for. There'll all be a step up from a Z900!

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Had 1090 / 1190 / 1290.

Same ergonomics on all of them, different seats - all shit so budget for ergo upgrade.

1290 best 2-up I suspect, most grunt, least dive, easy suspension adjustment and smooth qs changes. Also best tourer with cruise control very handy. Like a comfy sports tourer.

1190 is really great fun, slightly softer than 1290 and slightly squidgy forks, but intoxicating power delivery. Really miss mine, when I had both I would take the 1190 for local blasts and the 1290 for trips.

1090 is budget bike, quick enough but huge hole in midrange compared to others. I found it the sweetest handling though, best fork setup, one I would most enjoy on track.

Funny how 3 bikes so similar sharing chassis and lots more feel so different.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Had 1090 / 1190 / 1290.

Same ergonomics on all of them, different seats - all shit so budget for ergo upgrade.

1290 best 2-up I suspect, most grunt, least dive, easy suspension adjustment and smooth qs changes. Also best tourer with cruise control very handy. Like a comfy sports tourer.

1190 is really great fun, slightly softer than 1290 and slightly squidgy forks, but intoxicating power delivery. Really miss mine, when I had both I would take the 1190 for local blasts and the 1290 for trips.

1090 is budget bike, quick enough but huge hole in midrange compared to others. I found it the sweetest handling though, best fork setup, one I would most enjoy on track.

Funny how 3 bikes so similar sharing chassis and lots more feel so different.
Great info and reality check on all 3, cheers Matey

·
Registered
70 Posts
At 6'6", I'd imagine you'd want the physically biggest bike KTM do - the original (2015-17) 1290 Super Adventure. I'm 6'0" and 19 stone and I think you'd maybe struggle (esp. with a pillion) on any newer bike for room and comfort. 160bhp is still plenty for fun.

Just so happens I've got one for sale, but the above is still true IMHO.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I’ve owned an 1190s, 1290GT and a 1290s. I’m 6’2” and the GT didn’t work for me.
All round I’d go for a 1290S, great bike and more torque than the 1190, though despite KTM’s claims pretty similar power

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I’ve owned an 1190s, 1290GT and a 1290s. I’m 6’2” and the GT didn’t work for me.
All round I’d go for a 1290S, great bike and more torque than the 1190, though despite KTM’s claims pretty similar power
Cheers for that

·
Registered
302 Posts
I’ve had all three. The 1290 S is my current bike and basically is a big 1190, more torque and power everywhere. I found the 1190 handled a bet sharper but that could be down to tyres. I loved the GT and there is a noticeable upgrade in power over the S ….amazing motor. However I changed to the Adventure for comfort reasons and that only. Mind you I’m only 5’10:so can’t give a giants perspective 😂

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I’ve had all three. The 1290 S is my current bike and basically is a big 1190, more torque and power everywhere. I found the 1190 handled a bet sharper but that could be down to tyres. I loved the GT and there is a noticeable upgrade in power over the S ….amazing motor. However I changed to the Adventure for comfort reasons and that only. Mind you I’m only 5’10:so can’t give a giants perspective 😂
Thanks for the review, cheers

·
Registered
70 Posts
I am 6 foot 2 and heavy set. When I sat on the GT at the dealers my missus said it looked like I was sitting on a child's toy bike. I got the Adventure.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Just come back from a w/e in Snowdonia on a 2020 GT. Not as comfortable as I thought it would be. Would have rather been on my 2015 1290 SA.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts