KTM Owners Forum banner

21 - 40 of 77 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #23
enough to not put the price on here incase the missus somehow reads this thread!

Registered
looks good! Just out of interest how does a KTM 300 motor compare to a CR 500? I know that everyone bangs on about the 500 being an monster of an engine but as you are in the position of owning both I just wondered what your thoughts are.

Registered
Discussion Starter #27
very different. especially to the newer counterbalance ones. I rode a 500AF one recently and the vibration actually made me nauseous lol.

in a drag race on pavement stock vs stock a 300 will muller a 500. theres just too much torque and as stock its geared to 75mph where a exc 300 will pull over 85mph.

stick it in some sand and the roles are reversed.

theres nothing off idle that hits as hard as a cr500. it's like being punched in the guts.
my 300 is very well modified and makes a stock 300 feel like a 225cc bike but when it comes to low end stomp nothing can touch a 500.

you steer it with the rear wheel. block passing is your best friend and roosting folk for shits and giggles makes it very hard for people to pass. despite the wheel spin it gets a surprising amount of traction. must be due to the lazy power pulses.

it has drawbacks though.
kickstart only (fit decompression head)
heavy clutch (few shims under the pressure plate and magura clutch conversion fixes this)
easy to stall (rekluse)
vibration.... firstly build it right. fit the motor tight in the frame. make sure the run out on the crank is correct.

if it still vibrates too much you can buy a billet balanced crank (this is what HRC made) which will remove 50 percent of the vibration.

when I first bought my husky I still had my old 500. at race pace on a mx track I was struggling after lap 8. lap 11 I was finished. the arm pump was too much.

first ride on the husqvarna 300 I completed 21 laps and only pulled in as it was the end of the session. I could have done another 5 laps I reckon.

a 500 is in a very low state of tune and its lack of revs can become a problem when holding a gear. this can be sorted with some portwork.
my last one was 72hp and had a HRC 4th and 5th gear. it was geared for a theoretical 118 mph.

I used it for sandracing and it would pull hole shots in 3rd against much better riders. the bike would make up for my lack of skill and just gobble up anything in it's way.

if someone has rode one and not come away impressed you've rode a bad example. they deserve the cult status they have achieved.

Registered
There鈥檚 a couple of the desert riders have them, grizzly older guys... seen one mint resto and another with a Lectron... both grunt for days. Dying to ride Cyril鈥檚... inshallah one day.

Also like the BRC kit but FML it鈥檚 not cheap... but what a hoot that would be though. My 300 with 38HV Lectron, FMF system and high comp head has got some stomp... but that鈥檚 on another level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
Hi Sand, reading your reply I can now see why you are building this bike although I could probably guess why before I read your post. :)

Registered
Discussion Starter #31
those BRC kits look great. in all honesty it's most probably cheaper to build a BRC than a cr500/ktm conversion nowadays.

I'd really like one but based on the newer style chassis however this style isn't in production as yet.

theres a problem with the current BRC IMHO in that its using the 300 gearbox. in order to not over stress it BRC decided to change the primary drive gear so the moment the clutch is dropped the gearbox isn't overloaded with torque. on stock gearing a brc works out to be geared to 120mph. to get back the missing grunt folk are changing the gearing to 60 rear (no good for enduro when you hit a rock) and 12t front sprocket (only good for sawing through the swingarm)

other than that the engine is very impressive.

Registered
Interesting.... didn鈥檛 know that about the gearing. 60T sprocket also only good for sawing what you鈥檙e trying to climb over in half.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
Discussion Starter #33
rads fitted.
I'd modified some 4 banger ones by chopping the spouts and welded them to go the right way. I then found I had some reasonable condition 2 stroke ones in which all fit like stock and suit the 500 perfectly

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter #34
new oiled venhil cable, lock on grips, and 39mm oval bored airstriker. should help her rev out a bit.

set it as stock jetting to start with 52 pilot, 170 main. using a nedj needle to start off with.

Attachments

Premium Member
What is that pipe/elbow/union/male connector above the carb boot?........

Registered
Discussion Starter #37
it's a coolant pipe to the cylinder.

the newer style cylinder has the connection on the right side of the cylinder which makes the hose routing easier on these projects.
I have a cylinder however the port timing numbers are lower. it's only a port job away from matching this cylinder in terms of performance but the cylinder is bored to this piston so it can stay as it is for the time being.

the earlier bikes jetted right (and fresh) are 60hp at the rear. the later are more like 55hp stock. it can all be massaged to give much higher numbers however.

Premium Member
Thanks for the explanation.

Very impressed with this build (y)

Registered
Discussion Starter #39
I will be if she ever runs right. I built that motor very hungover

Registered
Discussion Starter #40
as noted that rear spout isnt ideal. but it can be made to work.

the problem this era cr500 had a high mounted pipe old school style and wont work with the modern style lower pipe.
the work around admittedly isnt very pretty but will be barely noticeable once the pipe is on.

it's a 20mm spout on the head and 22mm from the water pump which rules out getting lucky using another radiator pipe off something else.

to make it work I used a 22-20mm reducer from the waterpump.

got a old ktm radiator and cannibalised it for the spout.
had to cut the rad apart as I needed the whole spout. they are riveted on.

few bits of hose, 1 elbow, lots of heat from a heat gun and I've zip tied it in place whilst it cools.

doing it like this theres 5mm clearance for the pipe. I'll slide on a heat protector over the rad pipe incase the pipe gets a whack

Attachments

21 - 40 of 77 Posts