KTM Owners Forum banner

81 - 100 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
thanks chaps, yeah very happy. people look at it and say great its finally finished but its bloody miles away.

its hit the milestone of it runs and nothing leaks but theres loads of finishing off bits and set up to do

more work over last few days.

the front brake hose was fouling the caliper slightly so removed it, bit of heat and bent it back a few degrees.
new front brake disc, had to fit a new bearing spacer to the rear wheel as it was binding slightly when the wheel was done up.

changed the gearing from a 48 rear to 47. might as well make the most of the torque.

enduro boy last time I was filmed on a 500 I flipped the thing showing off. me and cameras dont get on ?

·
Registered
617 Posts
"enduro boy last time I was filmed on a 500 I flipped the thing showing off. me and cameras dont get on ?".
Been there too, I flipped a yz250 in front of a big crowd..........still makes me whince when I think about it !?

·
Premium Member
6,833 Posts
That brake pedal tip is mightly close to your boot. Even with oem l have to cut mine down so my gaernes dont drag the brake.

Also (being fussy here) why have footpeg pins that way up with split pins on top?

I think that you deserve the prize for 'best build' on this forum. Enviously impressive skills (y)

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
that's very kind of you ship.

I do have a shorter option from a older ktm if needed and a longer one too . it goes across 1/3 of the peg which looks about right compared to my husky WITH a extended pedal tip.

regarding the pins....
the official reason most do it is it's one less thing to drag on rocks.

I've personally never lost a peg pin whether it's been top or bottom.

depending on where you buy your bike depends on whether they come from top or bottom. new bikes come both ways.

my personal reasons are more about peg replacement. bend a peg and swap it out between sessions i find it easier. some models (rm250 for example) needs brake pedal removing. some dont clear the case either. I dont think theres a right or wrong. just preference.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
new manifold for the 500. the stock one comes with a tin gasket. like a piece of cut out coke can wrapped round the manifold. they leak even when new!
the makers claim it makes 4hp more over stock and 2lb ft torque too.

sounds like bollox until you see how badly matched the original manifold is to the cylinder and pipe.

these are made of stainless steel and have built in exhaust spring holders which are very handy.

Attachments

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
had its first proper run out today. its amazing. only took it steady but you can feel the brute torque. it's very rideable and in many ways easy to handle.

we had a 2010 ktm 250sx with us for comparison. took 2 mates along as I wanted a honest opinion.

they both loved it. said the vibration was less than the 250 sx, it felt like a new bike and a kid could ride it as you could just tickle it and still go at a good pace.

one commented it would be a good beginner bike (eeek! imagine that) but I see where hes coming from. it's only going to bite you if you do something really stupid with the throttle.

the other said he already preferred it to my Gucci husqvarna 300! bold statement and I'm on the fence on that one.

jetting was deemed to be perfect. didnt get it red hot like a enduro environment but hot enough. theres not a hint of lean or pipe bang. it's pure luck. I guessed the jetting and needle but it seems right so far.

it starts first kick every time too. like a 125.

I couldn't be happier. theres more to come. stic for the carb, rekluse and proper fine tuning.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Getting bitten by being cack-handed with the throttle not a bad lesson for a beginner to learn...

Great build, loving this thread.

How much money is in one of those motors? Or do you need to buy a rat and break it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
ship once the stic is fitted it makes them way more snappy so a g2 is quite likely. I'm hoping the taller gearing I'm running 14-47 will calm it down. also using the rekluse should calm it in the sense you can run it in a gear higher.

miner I still remember my first go on one. 14 years old (it was a ktm 500 2 stroke. I couldnt kick start it cold so bought my mate a c90 for 40 quid to follow me about and tow start it lol)

opened it up on my driveway in 2nd gear like it was a kx80 and it threw me straight off the back. lesson learned ?

I think you could build a stock one for a smidge under 5k. the newest frame the rails that are big enough are 2013 450. anything newer you have to tilt the engine backwards which leaves the sprocket to high.

you cant get a decent motor for under 2k. cheapest ratty 500's are 3k complete.
there was a mint 2013 450 with 5 hours on it on ebay that sold for 3k.

by the time you sold the motor and bits it would stand you 1500.

so youd be 3500 deep in it but theres pipe, cables, modern carb etc . it soon adds up. if you get a good deal maybe just under 4k total .... maybe.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
was looking for a ohlins for the ease of maintenance compared to the trax. gave up looking and bought a trax. next day I found a ohlins ffs. anyone want a trax shock ???

forks and shock need a revalve and set up.

had a problem with the standard cr500 gear lever, like everything back in the day, pegs, levers etc are just too short. it didnt clear the casing very well either. I was having to twist my ankle in

I'd just been restoring a rm250 for my nephew and noticed the gear lever looked just right.

feels great and the clearance in relation to the pegs feels the same as my husky . ordered a new one with standard rm250 bend.

got the bike really hot on a ride out other day it started to lean hang. it wasnt enough to change a jet. the fix was to swap out the 7 slide with a notch to a standard style slide.

stole the STIC out the husqvarna to try . should be epic.

everything is coming together nicely. hopefully the 500 will be finished by the time I have to self isolate in the workshop to build my cr480 :)

Attachments

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Trax maybe not a bad idea... unless the CR500 is a lot more linear than a KTM 300, really cut the pumping out on mine, can just rip it and go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
I'm really not a fan of pds bikes. only one I ever liked had a trax fitted.

I'm a big fan of ohlins though and always found them very consistent and supple.

I'll most probably try both and pick a favourite.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
stic testing has gone well.
straight off the 300 onto the 500. it definitely helps it rev out bridging the gap between the husqvarna and 500 on top speed.
without sounding like a salesman it's a very impressive piece of kit. bolting it straight on without a jetting change its 98 percent there.

went to bolt the panel and found a rivnut missing ffs so fixed this.

needs a wash (and chain adjusting) then graphics can go on.

just need to sort the suspension now.

right now I cant see it not replacing the husqvarna 300. it's so easy to ride. if the handling matches up with the motor I'll be very happy

81 - 100 of 104 Posts