KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi ppl,

All of a sudden my speedo has gone berserk. It was working fine but now it resets back to zero all the time. Sometimes the odo appears and then disappears again no matter how many presses I press. When driving the display changes from one display to something else. When I switch on in the morning all the speedo displays correctly but as soon as I try to enter into something, they just don't appear, sometimes the clock is gone, lap is very rare etc etc. I installed a new battery as it did not have one but still got problems. it used to work even when the thing had no battery. Bad thing is I cannot check the hours as resets to zero or mileage as my bike is always brand new :D but it is really frustrating. I checked the sensor alignment and it's ok. Been jiggling wires to check for loose or broken connection but no joy. it's really driving me crazy. Does anybody have or has had this sort of problem? When I am lucky everything works for those 15 seconds and then BOOM...back to square one. Please help guys:confused:

·
Registered
77 Posts
Freeky, this sounds like the exact same symtoms that I was having a week or so ago.

On mine I did get a bitof a result though when doing the wiggling wires fault finding. As a stab in the dark I thought that I would invest in some new battery leads. When I removed the live lead (battery to starter solinoid) and tryed to pull the bubber boot over the metal connector the whole lot came away. Really had to waggle the shit out of it to get any indication when fitted. Had some new leads made up and its sweet as now.

I would recommend going back and whiggling the begeezus out of the power leads. There are of course more technical ways but hey.

Hope you get sorted soon.

Moby.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for your help Mobydick..I will continue to jiggle but today i went to a guy who knows what he's doing and it seems that the problem lies with the ignition cover. It seems that the stator is fixed with 2 bolts and one of them has no place in the cover coz the dowel is broken. I have ordered the ignition cover and have put my bike to sleep:( until the part arrives. To be honest i am still not convinced 100% but i will have to wait and see. More worrying now is that i removed the main battery as in garage but speedo remained frozen in time, and when i tried to remove the small speedo battery, i was smelling that horrible electrical short smell which is really making me very very nervous. Don't know how I am going to wait until this bloody cover arrives and to see if everything will get back to normal.....praying

@DG......the bike is a 2003 525 EXC

thanks for your help all

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
update

It was the ignition cover. The magneto was freaking out with one bolt and now everything is back to normal regarding the speedo. My new problem is that the frigging bike just won't start now and I have just had it serviced :(

1 - 5 of 5 Posts