KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend is thinking of buying either a new or very slightly used 400 exc. He's like to do the Cambrian in 2 weeks but if he gets the new won't get the 3 hours and service in before the event. What does it entail? Is it just dropping mineral oil for fully synthetic or does it involve a valve check?
Cheers

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
No worries I found the manual online. looks like the 3 hour service is a big one.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
change the oils and filter,clean the screens and go
if you go by the manual it'll take you 2 weeks!
give it a good physical check over,a lot of my fastenings were hand tight.......:)

·
Registered
791 Posts
I have a 06 exc 400 and a 10 excr 400, and to be honest just keep on top of the oil and filter changes and cover the other procedures as they arrive, you could go by the book and check and change as `per hour`
Both my bikes have covered a large amount of hours. I have regulary checked the valve clearances and have had to set the valves on the Rfs a couple of times - which is a easy task. On the newer bike , I have checked the valves, but not needed , yet to re shim.. It is worth noting tho` that the valve clearance do close up , which causes starting issues etc, so just keep on top of that and you should be ok.

Another thing to check are the `nuts and bolts` for tightness, I check them ,but they always seem to come loose, a bit of locktite may help.
I also change the fork oil quite regulary as well on both bikes. again a easy task.

good luck

·
Premium Member
31,502 Posts
Loctite the gear lever, kickstart, subframe bolts, rear fender screws. Dont do them up over tight, use blue loctite..... sounds like a line from an advert ;)

·
Registered
791 Posts
Loctite the gear lever, kickstart, subframe bolts, rear fender screws. Dont do them up over tight, use blue loctite..... sounds like a line from an advert ;)
Oh yes!! You told me off a little while ago Kev::frown: Been away for 3 weeks in Canada so need to get out. lets hope it does`nt fall apart eh!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts