KTM Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen a KTM SMC 640 on ebay with 9500 miles on the clock, But this as the black engine, Will it be ok or will it suffer with reliablity issues because i have heard the black engine is quite unreliable

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
people say main bearing and head..

but i think you can have these modded
other may have more info fella

·
Registered
695 Posts
Yo KD post a link of the ebay link for the bike, These guys are pretty nifty on there knowledge unlike me heheh! :)

He's a very close friend of mine peeps and it's first big bike

·
Registered
695 Posts
Editted for accuracy. Sorry couldn't help myself.

As for the black engines I've heard all the horror storey but my lc4 didn't miss a bit and it got used everyday rain or shine.
Dam right he was my first ;)

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
At the risk of jinxing myself, My black engined 01 has been so good to me. Better than I've been to her thats for sure. I just dropped the oil a couple of days ago, and I'm way too embarrased to say how overdue the oil change was. Much to my surprise and delight, the magnetic sump plugs came up nearly clean. And no debris in the embarrasingly dark motul I dropped out of it. Its got 40thou Kilometers on it, 28k's worth from me in the last 2.5 years. I wail on it every time I ride it, and in summer temps yours will never likely see over there. So either I'm one lucky punter, or theres a bit of paranoia attatched to these engines.

FWIW, there was no 640 "SMC" People just like the stickers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts