KTM Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all - after a bit of help please

changing my rear brakes on my ABS 2011 SMT and with the wheel off and the brake caliper and its carrier plate slid off the swing arm its clear that the caliper is not 'sliding' on the pins that attach it to the carrier - in fact its stuck solid and will not budge / move on the carrier pins at all. (explains the uneven wear on the rear pads)

I have managed to slide the rubber boot off the front pin (ticked in the image) and its clear that that pin is free to move / not making any contact on the caliper but the other pin (with an X in the image) is stuck solid so i can't separate the caliper from the carrier.

On other bikes i have has you can entirely remove the caliper from the carrier plate - is the same true for these bikes? any thoughts on my it is stuck fast / any tips for freeing it off? I have tried squirting some WD40 down around the pin (which looks a little rusty) but no joy so far

appreciate any thoughts
Thanks
Jim

·
Premium Member
31,565 Posts
WD40 is bad for the rubber bellows and piston seals. I hope you cleaned them up well afterwards

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
WD 40 won't affect the rubber , its fish oil mostly
It's funny how many people believe this, but it's not fish oil.

According to their own datasheets it's mostly Naphtha.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Use WD-40 for one purpose only - displacing water. It is a shit lubricant as the carrier dries and it goes sticky and attracts debris.
If you want a penetrating fluid for rusty bolts then Plusgas is good or Kroil

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I also wouldn't believe the claims on WD-40 website.

For example it does contain petroleum products so it is not safe on natural rubber.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts