KTM Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning all,

so the backstory to this bike

I've made some progress already thankfully, few pictures/videos

Got the exhausts off and managed to nab a OEM set for 75quid. Although am still torn whether I want to straight pipe her.

I do have a lotta questions though
  1. Where does the speed sensor plug into? Is it somewhere under the tank since it doesn't go into the instrument cluster
  2. When I remove the two side screws to remove the tank on both sides petrol comes out :( Does that mean the tanks damaged or I just need to follow the proper procedure?
  3. In the last 3 pictures of the album above there's unplugged wires, looped back wires, cut wires. Some that say ACC on them but the bike starts fine. Anyone know where there supposed to go? I wanna assume the bike thieves did this so they could start the bike
  4. Is there anywhere I can find a seat for this thing? Can I use a seat from the Adventure or Superduke? Or do I need one specifically for the Supermoto since am struggling to find any on eBay.
  5. In the second picture in the album of the clocks, theres a yellow light on in the bottom left of the instrument panel, I couldn't find anything about what it means in the manual. Is it just a random pretty light?
  6. The speedo is in KM, the manual says I should be able to change it to Mph but I haven't managed to do it, is it possible this is an older set of clocks that don't support that feature?
  7. How many bars is the temperature supposed to go up? When I was washing her while she was running she went up to 3/4 bars. Is that just because she was idling? I checked the fan and it didn't come on
  8. The engine is anywhere between 50k-70k or more. Is there anything I majorly need to do outside of I'd say valves and a service? Should I get the forks/shock rebuild if I can?

Am thinking of going for black fairings and things like orange samco coolant pipes and what not. I've managed to get black rear fairings already :D

Thanks for all the replies :) I'll probably try to keep the thread updated with the progress.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
2. the tank is damaged.
3. ACC wires are additional electrical supply to accessories
4. Seat is specific to the injected 990 Supermoto. The 950 is different as is Superduke and Adventure
5. I can't remember what the yellow light is for but imagine it's oil pressure. Have a search for the owners manual online.
7. Temp should be about half way or just less
8. I would say the forks and shock will need a rebuild

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2. the tank is damaged.
3. ACC wires are additional electrical supply to accessories
4. Seat is specific to the injected 990 Supermoto. The 950 is different as is Superduke and Adventure
5. I can't remember what the yellow light is for but imagine it's oil pressure. Have a search for the owners manual online.
7. Temp should be about half way or just less
8. I would say the forks and shock will need a rebuild
2. Fixed it with some JB Weld, vid of leak on the link above
3. Ah fairs fairs nothing to worry about for me then
4. Hmm okay looks like after market
5. I checked my user manual with no luck, isn't oil pressure the oil sign?
6. Turns out coolant was right at the bottom :p
7. Ama wait till next summer for a full refresh and I think frame and engine repaint and with that fork/shock refresh

Also got stock exhausts on here now, gonna cut em and decat/debaffle em.

All pics are on album above

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
If there wasn’t much coolant then check the oil filter. If its all wavy then you’ve got a leaking water pump seal. You’ll confirm it with removal of the clutch cover to find mayonnaise. If it is you’ll need impeller, shaft, gasket and seal.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If there wasn’t much coolant then check the oil filter. If its all wavy then you’ve got a leaking water pump seal. You’ll confirm it with removal of the clutch cover to find mayonnaise. If it is you’ll need impeller, shaft, gasket and seal.
i take it i should drain oil before i take off clutch cover?

at this rate bike might be motable soon, just need to sort out speedo.

·
Premium Member
8,899 Posts
No need to drain oil, shouldnt be that much in there. If none in there, then clutch oil jet is blocked.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tbf this bike needs an oil change either way, so I'll drain oil and whilst am there take off clutch cover.

Does anyone have any pics of where the the damn speed cable plugs into I've searched all over the place and the only thing that looks similar is the fuel pump plug.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmm the fuel tank just took piss and started to leak again. Ordered another one for 100quid, and am like whilst am there do filters, and for an extra 50quid its with a new pump. so now am somehow 200quid in 😂

But seats turned up and it has footpegs again.

only worrying bit is its 2009 tank so hopefully not many issues fitting to an 08 bike.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ah cracking, it was

So hopefully should be fine. Ama see if I can get the tank restored so to speak. Then preferably get hold of some sexy black fairings to match the rear ones I have.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
fuel pumps rebuilt. the kit above is banging. pics added of a teardown of the fuel pump.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The new(used) tank goes on with the rebuilt pump and fresh fuel lines cut. A tip for anyone, there's a small screen you can remove at the side of the airbox to help feed the new lines in without having to remove the entire box.

She's starting to come together. The new tank seems like it was painted black but the paint is cracking in places.

New pic above with it all together.

Am tryna get hold of some slip ons that will compliment the akra map atm tbh. Speedo still a mystery 😂

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Finally figured out wtf is going on with the speed sensor.

So the harness has a grey and grey black wires which I've figured out are the speed sensor cables from the wiring diagram. Great, problem is thats 2 wires, the speed sensor has 3. So we'll see how they marry up exactly.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Just noticed this thread... I bought a 2010 SMR stolen recovered too, had my own personal nightmare with the ignition and immobilizer but now have a stonking bike, cheap as chips... no idea why some think its a terrible idea to save a ton of cash for a brilliant bike. Change the oil... ride the sucker... the end :cool:

·
Registered
154 Posts
The speedo will change, press the mode button for 10 sec., it flashes and then cycle to MPH.
Yours is the 2008, no immobilizer fitted... keep it that way! I had to send my ECU off to the Czech Rep to have it mapped out.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The speedo will change, press the mode button for 10 sec., it flashes and then cycle to MPH.
Yours is the 2008, no immobilizer fitted... keep it that way! I had to send my ECU off to the Czech Rep to have it mapped out.
That's worked tbf, it's more the issue of the thieves ruining the speedo wiring. I don't seem to have the orange wires to plug the speed sensor into

1 - 20 of 31 Posts