KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if KTM will do their usual VAT equivalent saving they seem to do most years in the next couple of months ?

·
Registered
9,035 Posts
I've been told it's not going to happen

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Was thinking of replacing my 16 450 Six Days with a 500 hadn't looked lately but the prices are bonkers , would need the deal to make the figures look even half sensible .

·
Registered
615 Posts
Noticed a few places with brand new '18 450sxf's for £4,500 yesterday. The current RRP takes this piss with the gradual downgraded quality but i'm sure we'll all carry on buying them

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
I was told same by ktm dealer, no more discounts!! But dealers have stacks of brand new bikes piled up, 6 days the lot ,never seen it before. Was mooching round premier yesterday got everthing in stock!!

·
Registered
706 Posts
I have been informed by a dealer, that KTM will not be doing anything to help move their new stock this January (as they usualy do).

I think this will not end well for the dealers, as I know at least 3 dealers who have a large stock of 2020 enduros and even some brand new 2019 enduros, they can't shift.

I think £9K for an enduro bike, might be pushing the boundries a tad too much.

·
Registered
8,579 Posts
Any dealers I’ve been to recently is rammed with bikes! They are selling but not like previous years.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
I was in dealer last week £9.5k for a 300 six days smoker!.. bloody ridiculous..I have jumped ship to a beta
Yep. It's madness and it's fuelled by finance deals. It's time we stood our ground and didn't pay those sort of prices.
I too am looking at betas. 7k Vs 9k is a big difference. But of course, I'm assuming you'd have to be a mug to pay ticket price for either.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Surely dealers don't usually tell people about the 20% off months before it usually happens? I think the reduction usually happens in March except last year where it happened in December. They are going to have to do something about the price before the 2021's arrive..

·
Registered
533 Posts
Beta are running test days at the moment but there has been zero publicity. The 2020 bikes are bloody good. The forum is about dead but at least you can read it.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I was told same by ktm dealer, no more discounts!! But dealers have stacks of brand new bikes piled up, 6 days the lot ,never seen it before. Was mooching round premier yesterday got everthing in stock!!
If they don't sell.....they will discount to shift'em

·
Registered
8,579 Posts
Given KTM have always followed commercial sales fashion trends I think they will do what apple did to boost iPhone sales after the iPhone X. Apple dropped the price. They also upped the spec but that’s definitely not KTMs MO.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Just before Xmas my dealer had some new 18 Adventures, but the were discounted heavily and I assume they got them cheap of KTM because earlier in the year they had sold all the leftovers.

If KTM have not yet shifted all the 18's and now have leftover 19's with the 20's turning up who do they think is going to buy a 2 year old model at the same price as the latest one?

At some point KTM will have to do something, it seems slowing down the production line is not in there mindset (or not viable) but considering in the UK we pay way more than the US (who have higher import duties) the UK is still very profitable, so they have room to discount heavily and still make money.

Ignoring R&D costs etc. I suspect the "factory gate" cost of each bike is pretty low, so once designed and the production line is tooled up new bikes are quite cheap to make, so even with big discounts are still profitable (whereas stopping the production line is costly)

The commercial aspects are no different to anything else, the idea is to squeeze every last penny out of every customer, like Airlines do with seat prices, the problem they have is trying not to piss people off to the point they never come back.

I suspect they will follow BMWs lead, they don't discount bikes, they give a £1500 deposit contribution, £1,000 of luggage and a free £750 exhaust, which makes me laugh when people go on about KTM ruining used prices with big discounts and BMW's holding their value...

...A mate of mine lost almost £7k on an 18 month old GS (Would of been over £8k if he flogged it back to dealer!) yet he loves to tell me how much better his BMW's hold their money - where I lost <£4k on my 1190 I had for over 3 years (and would of only been £7k at full list) But you can see how well BMW manage the perception of punters much better (Or have just cornered the market in stupid punters)

And it is not just KTM who do this shit, look at how Honda dumped a lot of their shitty AT's a couple of years back at £99 a month, imagine having paid full whack for one of them then trying to sell it while Honda were having sale of the century.

It does come down to supply and demand, if nobody will buy a dirt bike for £9k they will either have to lower prices or stop making them, would love to know the stats on the % of people that are paying top dollar (Road and Off Road) but I reckon they still sell the vast majority at top dollar (particularly road bikes) as many punters only visit the dealers in summer and never use forums and the like or go into the dealer in the middle of winter when the sales are on.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts