KTM Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bloody hell. I’ve been wanting a lower seat for my 2020 S and they simply don’t exist unless you get the Uberbucks Touratwat one which isn’t really any lower.
Imagine my delight when I saw a new low seat in Powerparts today only to discover it’s for the new model 1290 which has a lower seat to start with ffs!!!
On a slightly different note has anyone had their standard set lowered? To me there doesn’t seem to be much foam in it so not sure if it’s viable.
Cheers.

·
Registered
18 Posts
On a similar note, I just fitted a side stand plate to my 1290 SAS. I already have the seat set on the 'low' setting but that extra 5mm means the difference between getting on easily and now scuffing my boots on the pillion seat. Looks like it's back to no plate and a side stand puck in my jacket pocket. I'm 6.2" although with a relatively short 32" leg so this bike must be a real hazard to anyone under 6'.

Nigel

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
On a similar note, I just fitted a side stand plate to my 1290 SAS. I already have the seat set on the 'low' setting but that extra 5mm means the difference between getting on easily and now scuffing my boots on the pillion seat. Looks like it's back to no plate and a side stand puck in my jacket pocket. I'm 6.2" although with a relatively short 32" leg so this bike must be a real hazard to anyone under 6'.

Nigel
I'm 5"9......its a bit better with Adventure chunky soled boots in my case

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bloody hell. I salute you. Like all KTM riders you clearly see the challenge of ownership as a small price to pay for the grin it always puts on your face when you ride it.

Nigel
I love them.... I'll hopefully grow a bit more. Mind you at 58 I might be knackered 😂

·
Registered
64 Posts
Im 5 ft 10...and have the comfort seats on my 1290 SAS...which do add a few mm to the seat height...so i had another 10mm added to the sole of my boots..cost me £15 at a local cobblers..has made all the difference.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
im 5.7 and just crack on and ride it..slip of seat edge and junctions f i have to, i got the fancy ergo seat too...but i eat tonns of cake so probably compress the seat any how 😆 ..

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm 5'7" and if I'd known they were lowering the overall seat height and the offering a lower seat through PP I would have held out for a 2021. I know the frame is different on the 2021, but I'm going to find a friendly dealer and see how different the seat is for fitting on a 2020, might just need a bit of Stanley knife work - PP seat is still piles cheaper than a touratech. I did put bigger soled boots on. Its even more fun when t'wife jumps on the back as once the preload is adjusted I am on tippy toes!

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
My mrs used my 1190 for a 2 week alps tour, although she kept parking it front facing downhill and left me to drag it back out of where she wedged it, but apart from that she had no issues even with PP seats.

She just had to be careful not to stop with left leg off camber or over a dip.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
I'm 5'7" and if I'd known they were lowering the overall seat height and the offering a lower seat through PP I would have held out for a 2021. I know the frame is different on the 2021, but I'm going to find a friendly dealer and see how different the seat is for fitting on a 2020, might just need a bit of Stanley knife work - PP seat is still piles cheaper than a touratech. I did put bigger soled boots on. Its even more fun when t'wife jumps on the back as once the preload is adjusted I am on tippy toes!
I have got boots with a thick grippy sole, but i ride solo so might not be as top heavy feeling,confidence is a help as well!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have got boots with a thick grippy sole, but i ride solo so might not be as top heavy feeling,confidence is a help as well!
Bike's great two up - but when you dial in rider + pillion the pre load makes the bike higher still! Once we're on its not a worry as the spring compresses the right amount - but you have to be off the bike to adjust the pre load or it has a back to the dealer wobbly - so when you swing a leg over its noticeably higher. I got boots with bigger soles - but they took some adjusting too, don't want to accidentally caress the quick shifter as it sends through some throttle commands...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts