KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
any one here had a eds issue? Noticed fuse was blown so changed it then the eds ecu went up in a lot of smoke, know the ecu ain't cheap but what caused it to burn,and has any one got a second hand ecu wants to sell?

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Hello & welcome

I am afraid that I am unable to help, I hope that someone comes along shortly to assist

·
Registered
11 Posts
any one here had a eds issue? Noticed fuse was blown so changed it then the eds ecu went up in a lot of smoke, know the ecu ain't cheap but what caused it to burn,and has any one got a second hand ecu wants to sell?
Hellow and welcome!
New to the forum but not new to the suspension...
, This could relate to the sized preload motor or water damage to the stepper motor.
On the daily basis I work with BMW ESA with is made by the same people WP.
I've seen a lot of them in terrible condition
This is very easy to check if you have a power source... I would start with hydraulic preload. Just connect black and red to the battery terminals or remote power source(better solution) if you reverse polarity should start going up red to positive black to negative should retract.
If it doesn't then you can always drop me a message. I have all the equipment to check them on the bench and shock dyno to see if the stepper working correctly.
If you have any questions just ask I'm here to help.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello DoctorLukas, can you use the same procedure to test the stepper motors in the rear shock and front forks?

Background:
My 2013 KTM 1190 Adventure now intermittently gives an EDS failure which came on during a KTM dealer service.
After a hack session by KTM Austria it now has all the damping removed, meaning the front forks and rear shock have almost no movement at all (a bit like locking the forks on a mountain bike for going uphill). The bike was left in a dangerous state (sigh).

I understand that the EDS Controller does a diagnostic test at startup by screwing in all the damping to a maximum on the forks and shock and then backing off to to apply the user settings.
It seems that the user settings were not applied.
My bike has the original EDS controller (HW:01 SW:A0) which apparently doesn't give any failure reason the the main ECU.
Also the software on this version cannot be updated by the dealer, requiring it to be sent back to KTM or exchanged.
I understand that the 1190 R manual damper screws will fit an 1190 EDS bike.

Does anybody know anything more about this EDS system? Thx.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello DoctorLukas, can you use the same procedure to test the stepper motors in the rear shock and front forks?

Background:
My 2013 KTM 1190 Adventure now intermittently gives an EDS failure which came on during a KTM dealer service.
After a hack session by KTM Austria it now has all the damping removed, meaning the front forks and rear shock have almost no movement at all (a bit like locking the forks on a mountain bike for going uphill). The bike was left in a dangerous state (sigh).

I understand that the EDS Controller does a diagnostic test at startup by screwing in all the damping to a maximum on the forks and shock and then backing off to to apply the user settings.
It seems that the user settings were not applied.
My bike has the original EDS controller (HW:01 SW:A0) which apparently doesn't give any failure reason the the main ECU.
Also the software on this version cannot be updated by the dealer, requiring it to be sent back to KTM or exchanged.
I understand that the 1190 R manual damper screws will fit an 1190 EDS bike.

Does anybody know anything more about this EDS system? Thx.
Hi
EDS does exactly what you said on every ignition start.Stepper motors are driven all the way in beyond what you would call a hard setting and a couple of steps back to the correct settings.
This is closing the bleed completely maximum rebound very dangerous to ride as the theel have no traction.

I could test the steppers for you if I have them on the table.
Because there is no feedback you need to see how they perform.
If you would like to send me the shock I'll check it for you free of charge.
You have two options here set it to one position mid setting and ride the bike option two is conversion to manual almost impossible without very expensive parts.
Option tree finds the fault and fix the suspension.
Send me a message we can talk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello. Same issue here..eds failure when starting the bike and unable to change preload from 1 passanger with baggage. When changing the icon on display blinks. Tested de stepper with battery and it goes up and down. Any suggestions? Bike is 2013 1190 adv. Thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello. Same issue here..eds failure when starting the bike and unable to change preload from 1 passanger with baggage. When changing the icon on display blinks. Tested de stepper with battery and it goes up and down. Any suggestions? Bike is 2013 1190 adv. Thanks
Preload motor could be ok EDS is looking for two things current draw and feedback from the hall sensor/turn count indicator(On the spring preload) also, it needs to see resistance on the rebound motors but they don't give feedback.
If it doesn't get any feedback from the spring preload it will automatically shut down the system to protect from overcurrent or burning cables

·
Registered
11 Posts
So...i need to change the shock and the shock's ECU?
It would be nice to find the fault and not just swap the parts.without testing the bike is very hard to say what gone wrong. you need an oscilloscope or a good multimeter and try to find what's tripling the ECU.
Measure the resistance and current draw
Try reading the fault code it will indicate the problem.
I'm sorry but there is no quick answer to this question.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I will take it to a KTM dealer and read the codes. I bought the bike with this error. The previously owner said that one time he changed the load setting while standing on the bike and then the error appeared.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I will take it to a KTM dealer and read the codes. I bought the bike with this error. The previously owner said that one time he changed the load setting while standing on the bike and then the error appeared.
In 90% of the cases, shock is the problem, not the control unit. I fix them daily and I'm pretty sure the KTM dealer can try calibration and if that is not successful then the shock neds to be serviced or swopped.This is where I can help.
Hopefully you can solve this.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Are you able ot service the latest Semi-Active stuff as well?

No requirement now, but at some point in the future I might need a shock service as I would not want to be spending a grand on a new shock just because the oil in the old one is a bit tired!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Are you able ot service the latest Semi-Active stuff as well?

No requirement now, but at some point in the future I might need a shock service as I would not want to be spending a grand on a new shock just because the oil in the old one is a bit tired!
Hi yes, I can service SA suspension on later BMW is called Dynamic Esa different makes similar internals.
I have a shock dyno so I can test performance see the changes before and after the service and make changes to the valving.
I can control the electronic rebound valve on the bench to make sure it works properly and most important be able to see the adjustment range on the dyno.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Any plans to start servicing the KTM Semi Active - they seem keen to fit it to more and more bikes, in a few years I suspect it will be on the mid-capacity bikes from BMW / KTM / Ducati etc.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Any plans to start servicing the KTM Semi Active - they seem keen to fit it to more and more bikes, in a few years I suspect it will be on the mid-capacity bikes from BMW / KTM / Ducati etc.
Yes I can service them now. Not only that i can provide some upgrades. And test them on the dyno also control the damping and see the results.
Springs, better seals,dividing piston upgrades and revalving when possible.
I'm on Facebook @Ttechsuspension.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts